Tapping imperial to metric screws

D

Deleted2797112

Hi,
In my loft I've got old round steel conduit boxes with no lids. They're full of dust, cobwebs and insulation so I want to clean them out and put new lids on. I've bought one new lid and it fits and the screwholes are centred with the lugs inside the box. However, I can't find screws that fit, presumably because the lugs are sized for imperial screws.

I've been though my own box of old scavenged and saved screws and I've found a single one that fits and taken it round everywhere I can think of but I've drawn a blank. Brass electrical screws are too thin as are B&Q conduit box screws. The closest I can get is an M5 which is a fraction too large - I can get a bit less than a quarter turn before it won't go any further. M4 are a fraction too small.

It was suggested on another thread that I tap the lugs for metric but I'm unsure how to go about this. The screws don't go into a threaded 'socket', it's just a thin lug that the screw goes through. Can I just use a drill with a metal bit to widen the hole a tiny amount or do I need a tap and die set? Or something different?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
I guess you're talking about the old 'slip' tubing here......using a 5mm taper or second tap, carefully recut the thread on the lugs.
Failing that, you may be able to use a self tapping screw to the same effect.
John :)

Aaah the good old British Association thread....much loved by the electrical and electronics industry in the days of yore!
Could I hell remember BA when I posted this morning - thanks for the memory jog!
A soft thread if I remember, rounded in profile.

Sponsored Links
You're obviously coming at it from an engineering POV. I just used 'em when I was in electrical maintenance. . .
Any which way, you had me reaching for my ancient "Machinery's Handbook" :)
You're right. It is a soft thread. A lot of the ones we used were brass. Would that be the reason for the rounding?

wood screws will often do in low load applications in steel as long as you dont try to wide a screw

You're obviously coming at it from an engineering POV. I just used 'em when I was in electrical maintenance. . .
Any which way, you had me reaching for my ancient "Machinery's Handbook" :)
You're right. It is a soft thread. A lot of the ones we used were brass. Would that be the reason for the rounding?

Hell I'm really stretching the brain memory cell now.....the crest and root of the thread were rounded, and this meant that the screw and nut would mate together with minimal risk of cross threading, and on the smaller size (6 BA) it wasn't necessary to hold the nut when tightening. Naturally it was a fairly weak system, often in plated brass and very low torque.
It was prone to vibration failure which is why the Military, in their radio sets and the like, used shellac to lock the threads together.
You know - I really must try to get out more, and why I had to learn all this stuff is beyond me :p
Methinks, Dave54, there's something in your user name that suggests we share the same vintage :D
Regards!

Yes you're right about the vintage being in the name. :)
I learned a lot of stuff like that as well. In fact I had a vague memory when looking at the drawing of "doing" BA threads in the training school after I'd chosen the electrical side of things. I never thought (or could have thought) then that it would come up 40 years later on the internet. Computers were big machines that filled rooms!
I need to get out more too!

A big thank you to everyone who replied and especially to Dave54 for identifying the screws and finding a source too. I ordered them from one of the eBay sellers yesterday, they arrived today and they're now fitted - job done.

I've also learned a bit about something I've never heard of previously - British Association screws, found a new tool - a rethreading screwdriver and how to go about using a tap and die - I love this forum!

Thanks again to everyone!

PS I too remember computers that filled rooms and ones that read punched cards!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back