Old imperial conduit thread sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have brought some old Coughtrie type lights from ebay. I was going to recondition them and fit them in my house. I am struggling to find out the thread sized used on them.

The inlet/outlet is close to a Modern 20mm conduit thread, but the 20mm is a bit small. Do any old timers :D know what the standard conduit sizes would have been?

Internally I have got to replace the lamp holders and earthing straps. Likewise a modern M4 conduit screw is loose in the hole. Id guess it would be about M5, but obviously its going to be some kind of imperial thread.

I have a rusty conduit screw and a (plastic!) plug that I can measure, but I always find sizing imperial fittings confusing. For example 3/4 BSP as used in plumbing is 1" diameter!!!

Sponsored Links
I would guess its 1/2" BSP

Old electrical threads I think were BA,

BA1 or BA2?

Thanks for the reply. I can take them to work tomorrow and measure them and compare with those sizes. At least that gives me a starting point for which imperial size charts to go through!

Sponsored Links
I don't think conduit used BSP threads, but rather one of their own. I may be wrong.

BA threads were indeed used for screws. Interestingly BA threads are actually metric based.

20mm was always known just as 3/4, most wholesalers sell 20mm female to 3/4 male and vise versa adapters
20mm is larger than 3/4, next size was 1 inch
Though some stuff used and still do use Pg sizes

"DIN 40430 Pg thread usage will eventually be phased out in continental Europe.
A new metric thread standard (EN 50262) will be phased in as mandatory beginning on March 1, 2001 replacing the Pg thread.
Metric electrical threads are already in use in the UK where they have replaced the (now obsolete for electrical use) BSP threads."

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2321452227...=9044964&device=c&campaignid=856333651&crdt=0

Metpro make them
http://www.metpro.co.uk/downloads/MetproCatalogue.pdf

Metric to Imperial Adaptor Galv
20mm(M) to ¾”(F) FA1G
25mm(M) to 1”(F) FA3G

Imperial to Metric Adaptor Galv
¾”(M) to 20mm (F) FA2G
1”(M) to 25mm (F) FA4G
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Imperial conduit sizes were:

5/8", 3/4", 1", 1 1/4", 1 1/2", 2".

Thanks for all the replies. I think the mystery is now solved.

The screws inside the fitting which will take the lamp holder were:
Major diameter 4.74mm
TPI: 34 approx

I reckon this is a BA2 - my TPI measurement is a bit out, but the screw I had was only about 5mm long, so there was probably error in my measurement.

BA2 specs:
4.7mm major diameter
TPI 31.36
Here is where the screws will go.

IMG_20171207_195212.jpg

The conduit thread was:
Major diameter 20.5mm
TPI: 14 approx

This is definitely 1/2" BSP, as I have tried a plumbing fitting.

the specs for 1/2" BSP are:
Major diameter 20.955mm
TPI: 14

IMG_20171207_195155.jpg

I could have used an adaptor and replaced the conduit and box with 20mm metric, however I would like to keep the old conduit as it has a nice patina. I only wanted the conduit thread sizes to plug the entry / exit of the existing conduit which currently have some plastic 20mm forced in there! As this is going to be a domestic ceiling light I will drill a 20mm hole in the back of the old box and turn it into a rear entry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back