Thread size on old coughtrie lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This forum was able to help me a couple of years back identifying the thread size of some old BA screws in an old light fitting I had brought. Now I've been buying more old reclaimed lights....

This time I have some old Coughtrie bulkhead lights. I am trying to find the size of the inlet thread which would take a cable gland or conduit. The lights have a female thread integral to the outer casing. One of them had an old male adaptor screwed in, which I have removed and measured.

I measured the OD of the male thread at 18.75mm, which is pretty close to 3/4"

I only had about 3 threads on this adaptor, but with a bit of extrapolation I've calculated about 19TPI. Or a pitch of 1.3mm if its metric.

Threads I can find which are close are 3/4 UNEF - which seems a pretty niche thread from America and I cant find much about it in relation to electrical conduit. I was expecting something UK.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
thread spec actually is on old 3/4" imperial electrical conduit

Imperial conduit was 3/4 inch nominal OD, but will under-read when measured as the threads have rounded tips. But 16tpi.

BS 31

upload_2019-6-10_22-25-24.png

The heavyweight galvanised iron stuff? Sometimes called "gas-barrel conduit"

I've never checked, but I always believed it to be a BSP thread.

The notional size used to be measured by the internal bore, so half-inch would be about three-quarters external, where it was threaded.

Subsequently the thickness of the metal was reduced, so none of the diameters matched the name.

Sponsored Links
I had a few of these and, if you don't mind harming the 'heritage' of the fitting, they tap out pretty easily to 20mm to accept modern fittings. Later and current models have a metric thread anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back