Connecting galvanised pipe without threading

Sponsored Links
Does that make me a bit lovely and a bit handsome?
Not from down here.

sir_bernard_ingham_203_203x152.jpg

Aw, come on, that's not fair.

When that photo was taken, my dog had recently been run over.

I wouldn't use a flimsy piece of steel attached to the conduit with a grub-screw.
Was it definetly a grub screw, ive got some like that and its a sort of machined rivet to attach an internal spring to maintain the tension

Hey 333Rocky333, any ideas where I'd get something like this, or what it's called? It looks ideal for what I need and I can't find anything like it anywhere! Cheers

Sponsored Links
Seriously? I wasn't asking you! Didn't your mother teach you what happened to the boy who stuck his nose in where it wasn't wanted?

Did your mother not teach you that if you choose to ask questions on a public forum you have no rights to forbid anybody from replying?

You're doing up a house, and hoping to make money - why are you so hell-bent on doing a crap job?

I've been pondering for the past 5 minutes why anyone would want to waste their time trying to force their unwanted opinions onto people who aren't interested in hearing them, but as yet I'm at a loss as to the answer. You might THINK you know everything, but as it turns out, yet again, you have no idea what this is about, why I need it, or in fact whether I even need it for this job or something else completely different.

I came on this 'public forum' to ask a simple question and in the main people have given me straightforward and helpful answers. That's why I'm here. I'm a busy person and have better things to do with my time than to deal with people who clearly have nothing better to do than to sh*t stir. If there was a box to tick asking only for helpful answers then I would definitely tick it. Telling people their ideas are crap, trying to put down other peoples tastes and generally being an unpleasant know-it-all isn't the way most people endeavour to 'help' other people and certainly isn't the way to make people pay attention to your replies. I simply don't have time for this and won't be either reading or replying to your comments in future, so maybe find something more fulfilling to do. Perhaps you should try charity work - I've heard its good for the soul.

I've been pondering for the past 5 minutes why anyone would want to waste their time trying to force their unwanted opinions onto people who aren't interested in hearing them, but as yet I'm at a loss as to the answer. You might THINK you know everything, but as it turns out, yet again, you have no idea what this is about, why I need it, or in fact whether I even need it for this job or something else completely different.

I came on this 'public forum' to ask a simple question and in the main people have given me straightforward and helpful answers. That's why I'm here. I'm a busy person and have better things to do with my time than to deal with people who clearly have nothing better to do than to sh*t stir. If there was a box to tick asking only for helpful answers then I would definitely tick it. Telling people their ideas are crap, trying to put down other peoples tastes and generally being an unpleasant know-it-all isn't the way most people endeavour to 'help' other people and certainly isn't the way to make people pay attention to your replies. I simply don't have time for this and won't be either reading or replying to your comments in future, so maybe find something more fulfilling to do. Perhaps you should try charity work - I've heard its good for the soul.

I have to agree with B-A-S though. Part P apllies to the work your doing, and is notifiable as you are adding something new. Please note:

*Table 1 of Approved document Part P: Work that need NOT be notified

Replacing any fixed electrical equipment (for example, socket-outlets, control switches and ceiling roses) which does not include the provision of new fixed wiring

Replacing the cable of a single circuit only where the cable has been damaged for example by fire, rodent or impact

Refixing or replacing the enclosures of existing installation components

providing mechanical protection to existing fixed installations

Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding

Therefore, what you are doing needs to be notified or carried out by a qualified electricians registered with a Part P scheme

Still disagree i'm afraid. Don't think you've understood what is being done. We are simply replacing a ceiling rose. Everything else is a light fitting.

Still disagree i'm afraid. Don't think you've understood what is being done. We are simply replacing a ceiling rose. Everything else is a light fitting.

Thats not what you said in the opening post of the topic.

Your talking about putting up metal conduit on the ceiling to the new fittings......so therefore you must also be putting in new fixed wiring to a new installation.

I'm now looking at putting up new light fittings, but we've realised that our kitchen lighting design isn't ideal and would like to add in a couple of extra lights. The wiring would have to run perpendicular to the joists, so we aren't keen to start carving up the ceiling, so we were thinking of using surface mounted galvanised conduit as this would go well with the style of the kitchen.

Ok, simpler way of explaining it. I was making a light fitting out of galvanised steel conduit (because I'm an arty farty type who does that kind of thing). The conduit IS the light fitting, its not running TO a light fitting. There will be nothing in the conduit other than a flex running to a bulb holder. Anyway, old thread, so not really relevant as plans have changed (though I do still want to know where those couplers came from as they'd be really useful for a job I've got to do).

I've been pondering for the past 5 minutes why anyone would want to waste their time trying to force their unwanted opinions onto people who aren't interested in hearing them, but as yet I'm at a loss as to the answer.
You could have used that time more profitably to reflect on why you don't want to hear that your proposed workmanship is substandard.

You might THINK you know everything, but as it turns out, yet again, you have no idea what this is about, why I need it, or in fact whether I even need it for this job or something else completely different.
It doesn't matter - those couplers are a rubbish way to do things.

I came on this 'public forum' to ask a simple question and in the main people have given me straightforward and helpful answers.
By "helpful" you appear to mean "which support me in the decisions I have already made".

Telling people their ideas are crap, trying to put down other peoples tastes and generally being an unpleasant know-it-all isn't the way most people endeavour to 'help' other people and certainly isn't the way to make people pay attention to your replies.
My comment has nothing whatsoever to do with the aesthetics of anything you're doing - whether using exposed conduit, or making a light out of it, or having loops of flex supplying lights on hooks - all of that is irrelevant.

Whatever you are doing, if you need to bush or screw conduit into something, then the way to do it is to cut a thread onto the end of the conduit, not to use one of those things.

Whatever the other job is that you want to do, those couplers are not the things to use.

sorry cant remember i picked them up years ago and only have about 2 left.
Obviously there not ideal but in urgent situations without dies to hand there great and are quite a secure fit acually.
I knew them as "Knock on couplers" i will ask about

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back