Connecting galvanised pipe without threading

From the NICEIC Part P factsheet:
"The requirements of Part P apply to most electrical work in your home. There are however, certain relaxations that apply for minor work.
Minor work: ‘Minor work’ is electrical work that does not involve the addition of a new circuit, for example adding new sockets or light switches to an existing circuit, or the replacement of sockets, light switches and ceiling roses. This work does not have to be undertaken by a registered electrician and you do not need to notify your local building control office.
However, ALL electrical work must comply with BS 7671, the wiring regulations."
Good grief - did NICEIC really write that?! It's guaranteed to confuse!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Imo Bas does a lot of good for this forum free of charge, evident by the amount of Thanks posted
BAS does make valuable contributions, and at just over 3%, his 'Thanks':post ratio is pretty good. However, before his ego gets too excited, I would point out that many of us can better 3% (in some cases {not me!} considerably so).

Kind Regards, John

He also had a lot of posts under his belt before the thanks thing was introduced

Hey, maybe he's a great guy. Like I said, I can only respond to the reply he posted to my question, which didn't show him in such a great light!

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't use a flimsy piece of steel attached to the conduit with a grub-screw.
Was it definetly a grub screw, ive got some like that and its a sort of machined rivet to attach an internal spring to maintain the tension

Maybe not to be honest, I didn't look to close.

I wouldn't use a flimsy piece of steel attached to the conduit with a grub-screw.
Neither would I - it was in response to the photo of such a contraption that I asked why would you not use a flange coupler:

044_1008_ZZ99_CFCOUPF_GV_large.jpg

which is just like a conduit coupler and a bush, but has that flange on one side and a washer on the other to spread the load when connecting to galvanised trunking.

He also had a lot of posts under his belt before the thanks thing was introduced
Fair enough - that obviously distorts the statistics. However, another distortion, in the other direction, results from the fact that (at least for the past couple of years of my observing), a surprisingly high proportion of posts for which he gets Thanked are not actually ones which are answering electrical questions! A much more interesting statistic, which is not available to us, would be the number of Thanks a member gets from the OP of a thread - I'm not sure he would do too well with that one!

Kind Regards, John

Neither would I - it was in response to the photo of such a contraption that I asked why would you not use a flange coupler:

044_1008_ZZ99_CFCOUPF_GV_large.jpg

which is just like a conduit coupler and a bush, but has that flange on one side and a washer on the other to spread the load when connecting to galvanised trunking.

Nothing wrong with using a standard flange coupler like those, I just hate these crappy thin steel push fit/spring/grub screw crap.

Fair enough - that obviously distorts the statistics. However, another distortion, in the other direction, results from the fact that (at least for the past couple of years of my observing), a surprisingly high proportion of posts for which he gets Thanked are not actually ones which are answering electrical questions! A much more interesting statistic, which is not available to us, would be the number of Thanks a member gets from the OP of a thread - I'm not sure he would do too well with that one!
You'll probably not be surprised to learn that I don't regard this forum as a popularity contest.

You'll probably not be surprised to learn that I don't regard this forum as a popularity contest.
No, not surprised at all :)

In passing, what do you think about that quote, apparent from the 'NICIEC Part P Fact Sheet' , on which I recently commented?

Kind Regards, John

Typical b****cks written by an electrician who is either too thick or too lazy to read and understand the Building Regulations.

There is no reason why the electricians who work for NICEIC should be any less thick or any less lazy than the ones who post here demonstrating exactly the same handicaps and attitudes.

Typical b****cks written by an electrician who is either too thick or too lazy to read and understand the Building Regulations.
Maybe - or perhaps written by the office junior, or the school kid doing 'work experience'!
There is no reason why the electricians who work for NICEIC should be any less thick or any less lazy than the ones who post here demonstrating exactly the same handicaps and attitudes.
That could be read as a generalisation - which I'm sure you didn't intend!

Kind Regards, John

Maybe - or perhaps written by the office junior, or the school kid doing 'work experience'!
And checked and approved for publication by whom?

Not if read properly - I talked about the people who post here showing a serious lack of understanding of the regulations, not all of the people here.

Not if read properly - I talked about the people who post here showing a serious lack of understanding of the regulations, not all of the people here.
My point was that one cannot tell how to 'read it properly', because it is potentially ambiguous.

Kind Regards, John

As far as I'm aware you are not under any obligation to apply for building regs to install light fittings ...
You are in a kitchen.
Building regs 2010, Schedule 4 (work exempt from notification), section 2 :
2. Work which—
(a) is not in a kitchen, or a special location;
(b) does not involve work on a special installation; and
(c) consists of—
(i) adding light fittings and switches to an existing circuit, or...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back