Basin mixer tap swap help :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people
I need to swap a basin mixer tap in my bathroom as I've swapped the cartridge a few times but it keeps breaking. I have ordered some monobloc spanners and I've watched a few videos online so I'm confident of the procedure, I'm just not confident of how to disconnect the old one first. as it has solid tails rather than flexi tales.
The new tap comes with flexi tales.
So looking at this picture I've taken, do I turn the big nut that's connected to the solid copper pipe or do I turn the smaller nut that's a part of the flexi pipe to disconnect the tap tails?
Then once its disconnected how to do I join the flexi pipe that I already have with the flexi pipe that comes with the new tap?
Last question is the pedestal upright section able to be just pulled away from the basin if I break the sealant at the top and bottom for easier access to the plumbing?

Any advice much appreciated.

tinkered.jpg

IMG_20220707_082043.jpg

Sponsored Links
You would turn the one you ringed in red, holding the green one still with another spanner/grips.

However, that's a bit of a bodge as it is with the flexi in the middle. You would be better off extending the copper run from the floor and then connecting your new tap flexes to that via a compression coupler.

If you pull the pedestal away, the basin will almost certainly fall off the wall.

Thanks for the reply, and the advice on which nut to turn, I think extending copper runs is definitely beyond my plumbing capabilities....
Is there a way to attach my new tap flexi tails to the existing flexi with some sort of coupler?

Thanks for the reply, and the advice on which nut to turn, I think extending copper runs is definitely beyond my plumbing capabilities....
Is there a way to attach my new tap flexi tails to the existing flexi with some sort of coupler?
Not true. Look at JG Speedfit- you have the room back there to hide a pair of couplers.
Re the sink- there will be a couple of screws holding the basin to the wall, the pedestal is taking most of the weight. You'd have to lift the front of the basin slightly (a couple of millimetres), prop it with a bit of 3 x 2 then wiggle the pedestal out (there's probably silicon at the top, there may be screw(s) at the bottom.
I'd suggest trying not to move the pedestal initially- keep it as a Plan B if you struggle with the tap swap.

Sponsored Links
Why on earth did the last person put the isolating valve at an angle that makes it difficult to put a slotted screwdriver in?

Tell me about it, its an absolute nightmare turning them and I'm sure I'm going to do the valves some damage going in heavy at an angle :(

Tell me about it, its an absolute nightmare turning them and I'm sure I'm going to do the valves some damage going in heavy at an angle :(

You can get right angle drivers

I have previously purchased them from pound shops.

Additionally, you can buy offset screw drivers.

When it comes down to it. If you slide the pedestal over slightly, it wont be too much of an issue to isolate the valve, but it was plain stupid to leave it at that angle.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I'm certainly learning a lot today! I'm buying them right angled screwdrivers :)

I'm certainly learning a lot today! I'm buying them right angled screwdrivers :)

They are certainly useful, but be advised that you need enough space to apply pressure if, for example, trying to remove tight screws.

Looks like your new flexi hoses have 15 mm compression fittings on the ends. They need to connect to a 15mm pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back