Basin waste and trap replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace the waste and trap on this Sphynx basin. However the bottle trap arrangement wasn't what I was expecting to find.

The bottle trap on there has no union nut to screw onto a conventional waste thread. It looks integrated with waste?

The brand on the bottle trap says viega.

Can I replace with a conventional waste and trap. It seems very tight distance wise between the underside of waste to the outlet from trap due to existing fitting hard up under the basin with a rubber gasket...

Yes, I know the pipework for the water feeds are not great. Mixture of press fit and compression and lots of Pfte tape.

Thanks for anything to make this easier.

Attachments

• 20200112_164646.jpg
    20200112_164646.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 134
Sponsored Links
2E038306-18E4-43A7-914A-A11BCD4CB127.jpeg Thanks for looking. Attached is waste from above. I don’t think there is a centre pin.

Sponsored Links
No,no centrepin, what I meant to say was, you probably need one like that.

Yes, think you are right. I disassembled and the thread is 1 1/2" and very little thread on the waste so the bottle trap is brought up to seal against the underside of basin..

I've ordered a mcalpine 1 1/2" centre pin bath waste similar to what you linked. Reason being that just to make life even more difficult, it had a 70 mm flange/ recess in the basin. I think this is all euro stuff and sold complete with basin at time of install.

I think I've found a spare part for the waste and valve arrangement. But pricey and a funny arrangement for a basin plug. So I'll try the mcalpine first.. thanks again.

https://www.viega.co.uk/en/products...-bidets/Cover-plate-standing-pipe-5420-9.html

613648 Viega Cover plate standing pipe

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back