Bottle trap trouble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been re-fitting my bathroom and installed a nice modern washstand basin which is open at the front. Because the waste trap is 'on display' I bought a chrome bottle trap which I attached to the existing waste pipe which is routed down through the floor and out to the waste pipe. Though I didn't have any problem with the previous pedestal basin the new one is very slow to drain to the point where it backs up and leaks through the (poor) joints between the metal and plastic pipes. Am I going to have to replace the bottle trap with a 'p' or 's' trap? Or is there a way to retain the nice-looking bottle-trap but get it to drain quicker? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Check the length of the tube in the middle - sometimes they bottom out.
The joints shouldn't leak though - sure you've got them together correctly?

ChrisR said:
Check the length of the tube in the middle - sometimes they bottom out.
The joints shouldn't leak though - sure you've got them together correctly?

I checked the tube inside the bottel trap and trimmed it a little - is it worth trimming some more?

Sponsored Links
see if it's draining any better first .
Wont do any harm if bottom tube is say 30/40mm from base. sometimes seals on metal traps can be a pig to seal ,usually just a hard plastic v shaped washer try wrapping some thread tape around washer Another reason for slow drainage is you may have a partial blockage in waste pipe. did the old trap have an air admittance Vv you may have to fit a durgo hard to say without looking .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back