bath frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there, newbie looking for some good advice...

I've recently had a new bath fitted, an MFI standard bath jobbie. I am putting my own bath panel on and need to build the wooden frame first to help support the bath and attach the panel to.

How exactly do I attach the uprights from floor to bath? to my simpleton mind there doesn't seem any way to attach the baton frame from the floor to the bath edge as you can't really get a screw in anywhere (oo-er).

I know along the floor i can screw a baton down and then screw the upright to that, but for attaching to the bath lip is it just a case of wedging it under? hope this makes sense.

Also, where the bath tap attaches to the bath there is like a 1/2mm gap (i can't tell if the spacer was fitted) and water leaks through (so i guess not) I'm thinking of just trying to squeeze some mastic into the gap, any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any expert advice :)

Richard.

Sponsored Links
richarda said:
I know along the floor i can screw a baton down and then screw the upright to that, but for attaching to the bath lip is it just a case of wedging it under?
Yes and use no-nail, gripfill best for that and use L-shape bracket for upright timber. Make sure the upright timber is the right length otherwise the bath might lift.
Also, where the bath tap attaches to the bath there is like a 1/2mm gap (i can't tell if the spacer was fitted) and water leaks through (so i guess not) I'm thinking of just trying to squeeze some mastic into the gap, any ideas?
Can you not get them back in ?

I could get the fitter back in, it's a friend of a friend and now that the bath is finally in place and all attached up i'm loathe to have to have it taken apart again. (it's a long story but it's been a nightmare). I was kind of hoping for a quick 'n' easy fix but i'm quickly learning there is no such thing with DIY.

Another question if i may. We've had the walls skim-plastered nice and fresh after taking down old tiles. Should we paint a coat of pva glue over before fresh tiles are put on?

Thanks

Richard.

richarda said:
Another question if i may. We've had the walls skim-plastered nice and fresh after taking down old tiles. Should we paint a coat of pva glue over before fresh tiles are put on?
Unibond with water, the ratio will be on the tin.

Regarding the the leak, as long the tap connecting fitting are not leaking and the leak is coming from bath water then as you say use sealant, sounds like the rubber washer is missing under the tap.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back