Bath Mixer Tap - Hot tap a dribble - Fixed Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents,

I'm sure a somewhat simple problem for the group but nonetheless I'd appreciate some advice. The mixer tap fitted to the bath is playing up. Basically if you put the hot water tap on full no more than a dribble comes out and its as good as off as soon as you make half a turn from the full on position - yet it still has 3 turns to full off position. The cold water flows at full pace. All the other hot water taps in the house flow freely and normal. However over the last few month the hot top in the bath mixer has gradually got worse. I suspect possibly the hard water has somehow blocked it, but would appreciate your thoughts / advice to a resolution.

I'm guessing that I'll need to change the mixer (may be jumping the gun) so how difficult is this too do? I can pop to my local B&Q but I'd rather not enact a flood seen in the house :)

thanks in advance for any support provided, Kevin.

Sponsored Links
Your hot tap valve is faulty - it's either a missing/broken circlip on the spindle or a loose/broken jumper.

Shut off your hot water service, then take the tap apart (from the top).

Post pictures or a detailed description of the tap if you don't know what to do.

Softus,

Following your advice I went to my local B&Q and chatted to their instore plumber - he agreed with your diagnosis (I said faulty valve) and identified the suitable part - 98p. I fitted this this morning and hey presto everything is back into service. I have to say compared to the other taps in the house this one is now far smoother and I wonder if they'll all start to detriorate over the forthcoming months?

kind regards again for your quick response to my help call, Kevin.

You're welcome - glad it's sorted. Regarding the other taps - nothing lasts forever. :)

While you're here, I've been having some more trouble with Doctor Strange recently - may I call upon you if he gets too big for his boots again?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back