Bath mounted taps on new bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to pick up a new bath from a clearance store today. Despite claiming to have never fitted a bath or to have done any plumbing work the chap at the store looked at me funny when I picked up a standard tap that you would mount on top. He said to go for wall mounted taps or free standing.

The acrylic bath in question had no tap holes I have seen many baths for sale which state that tap holes can be drilled at either end or the middle depending on preference.

The bath I have bought isn't a roll top and is flat edged to the outside with a small flat surface and then it seems to roll on the inside of the tub. Now the middle section seems to have a longer flat surface which has the waste just below it. The waste could be the reason for the wider flat surface at that point but I was wondering if I would be able to place a bath tap on that section or any of the other flat sections?

Sponsored Links
If there is no holes in the bath for the taps, one has to be quite precise with the measurements to fit the taps. . maybe he was just advising you of this style of bath.

I was wondering if I would be able to place a bath tap on that section or any of the other flat sections?
If there's enough area to accept your tap then go for it. Check the underside to make sure you can fix the tap without having to 'modify'.
In most fixtures the waste is generally under the tap(s). Your flat area sounds about right.

By the way, I've never fitted a bath either. Sold thousands.

Sponsored Links
If there isn't sufficient space to fit the tap on the ledge, without fouling the waste etc then you could look to fit a combined overflow filler.

You'll need valves to control the hot and cold feeds but you can combine the outputs from both into a single feed for the overflow filler. Link below in case it's unclear what I'm referring to - although I'd probably spend a bit more and get one that's made by a recognised manufacaturer.

http://www.bestbathrooms.com/Freefl...pr41052.html?gclid=CKSotMn0n7gCFVMftAodU3sAqw

And if you want a handset then you can use a showervalve with a diverter to feed the overflow filler and handset.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back