Bath overflow fitting sizes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace the chrome overflow fitting on my bath with a shiny new one and thought it would be really easy, so I bought this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bath-waste-with-chrome-plug-16-chain/32944

only to find that the plastic pipe that goes into the waste is a smaller diameter and wont fit on the new overflow.

Next I thought I would use the old back-plate and pipe fitting but found that the thread size and pitch are different to the new one. Diameter is smaller and there are less turns per inch.

So my question is are there "standard" sizes for bath wastes? The bath is an old enamel cast iron one so I guess it may have old imperial fittings?

Any idea where I can get one that will fit?

Alternatively, can I get an adapter for the plastic pipe? Needs to come down from 24mm (internal) to 20mm (internal.)

Sponsored Links
I answered my own question with a quick trip to the local plumber's merchant:

They had a McAlpine set which has completely different overflow fitting and pipe sizes to the Screwfix one and luckily one was compatible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back