Bath overflow leaking after ill advised cleaning of plug hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

Time to put my hand up and say "yes, that was me".

Trying to clean out some gunk from the bath sink hole, I started to unscrew the plug hole cover / flange. I kept unscrewing it....and unscrewing it....now the plug hole cover is off.

Nice clean sink hole ....

But now the pipe that was being held up in position has fallen slack and I am not Mr Popular anymore (never was anyway).

I have been to my local plumbers shop, I have also been to BnQ. Both of them only stocked replacement kits, that included fittings for a screw - in attachment.

The issue I have is that (maybe its old?) the pipe that I need to attach the plug cover to using the screw isnt threaded. Its got a half cm hole in one side. The screw that goes into the plug hole cover would presumably be attached to an adaptor that would slot into the hole. Then you would turn the screw with the plug cover in place and this would pull up the pipe right up to the bottom of the plug cover and then it would be sealed.

As you might tell I am not a seasoned plumber, and I am struggling to explain myself. This link
http://www.practicaldiy.com/plumbing/bath_waste/bath_wastes.php
Under the section "Adapter with overflow connection" explains it better I think.

Adapter with overflow connection
bath_waste2.gif
Where there if is sufficient space under the bath, this is probably the easiest arrangement to fit. It consists of an adapter under the bath which is held in place by a screw through the centre of the drain hole grille and into a captive nut in the centre of the adapter.

The adapter incorporates a connection for the bath overflow. Details of connecting the overflow to the bath are given below. When positioning the adapter, ensure that the connection for the overflow is positioned towards the overflow in the bath.

The screw pulls the adapter to the underside of the bath and compresses the washers to give a watertight seal.

There are usually washers positioned between the adapter and the underside of the bath, and under the drain grille inside the bath.

Could someone please confirm that this is indeed an "adaptor with overflow connection" I am looking for?

I have searched online for something like this but cannot locate anything.

I would just buy one of those "kits", but I have no access to the underside of the bath (its sealed with wood and mastic etc).

I really dont want to have to call an expert as it seems to me I just need a plug hole cover, a long screw, and whatever adapter is available to slot into the pipe with the hole.

Thanks to anyone who can respond to help. My children need this bath back in action soon.

David J.

Sponsored Links
I would just buy one of those "kits", but I have no access to the underside of the bath (its sealed with wood and mastic etc).

You will need to get under the bath!

Buy and fit new bath waste kit.
Get one with a cleaning eye and make the bath panel removeable for future cleaning and maintenance of the trap, via the cleaning eye.

Thanks Dilalio. To get under that bath will mean some serious destruction. Is that seriously the only way? It seems slightly absurb I have to go to all this hassle when its just a matter of a screw and a plastic thingy to slot into that pipe and pull it up.

Does my description of the type of arrangement we have make sense?

Even if you could put the existing back together, (I'm not sure why you cant from your description), it will now probably leak, as you've disturbed it, and without looking underneath you wont know until it starts dripping through the ceiling below.....

The only solution is going to be to get under the bath, and do the job properly I'm afraid.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back