Draft from bath overflow so letting in cold air

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's cold and windy today and I noticed that there is a gale blowing through my bath overflow. Its a 1950's bath and the overflow looks just like the drain hole. The chain for the plug is attached to the centre of the overflow

I have sellotaped a peice of plastic over the overflow but would like to find something I can use that will stay in place when the bath gets wet rather than having to re sellotape the plastic every time.

Is there anything available I could use. I seached online but all I found was suction plastic covers, to enable people to have a deeper bath, which reviews said didn't stay in place.

Alternatively could something be easily fitted to the pipe outside to stop the wind blowing in. Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Your overflow is a good design (in that it'll do its job even if the bath drain is blocked) but has the drawback you've mentioned.
Long-term fix is replace the bath waste with combined drain and overflow (the standard arrangement), short-term if you can get to the end of the overflow, an elbow and a length of vertical drop pipe (the longer the better) will significantly reduce the draught). Put a u bend in it & draught will be gone- problem there is if the u bend is outside it'll freeze. U bend between bath and outside wld be possible but if you're going to that much effort might as well fit the new waste

An option would be to have an overflow that is also a holder for the plug and then buy a spare plug to fit into it.

th
th

You mean, prevent the overflow working as an overflow.

Sponsored Links
Your overflow is a good design (in that it'll do its job even if the bath drain is blocked) but has the drawback you've mentioned.
Long-term fix is replace the bath waste with combined drain and overflow (the standard arrangement), short-term if you can get to the end of the overflow, an elbow and a length of vertical drop pipe (the longer the better) will significantly reduce the draught). Put a u bend in it & draught will be gone- problem there is if the u bend is outside it'll freeze. U bend between bath and outside wld be possible but if you're going to that much effort might as well fit the new waste

My overflow pipe if memory serves me right is metal and about 2" in diameter. What could I buy to easily attached that would comprise of elbow and down pipe. All the pipe I seen in DIY shops are plastic. How do I attach the elbow to the original. There is no thread on the pipe. The end of the pipe is cut at a 45 degree angle.

Am I right in assuming that freezing is only a problem if there is water in the pipe, so of no water goes down the pipe it will be OK

If it is really 2" diameter then get the closest size plastic tube you can find (warning, much waste pipe is listed by internal diameter not external) and a compression elbow. If the pipe sizes are close enough the compression fitting will bite, job jobbed. If the placcie is a bit too big then wrap the metal pipe with turns of tape (pvc or gaffer, whatever you have) to get it big enough for compression fitting to bite.
If the u bend is dry it won't freeze, but it also won't stop the remaining draught. Do not even think about filling it with antifreeze, the stuff is lethal (in tiny amounts) to wild animals and cats and dogs.

If it is really 2" diameter then get the closest size plastic tube you can find (warning, much waste pipe is listed by internal diameter not external) and a compression elbow. If the pipe sizes are close enough the compression fitting will bite, job jobbed. If the placcie is a bit too big then wrap the metal pipe with turns of tape (pvc or gaffer, whatever you have) to get it big enough for compression fitting to bite.
If the u bend is dry it won't freeze, but it also won't stop the remaining draught. Do not even think about filling it with antifreeze, the stuff is lethal (in tiny amounts) to wild animals and cats and dogs.

I was guessing size. When the weather improves a bit I will check and see if I can set the ladder up safely to have a look. I don't want to take a fall and spend hours lying on the ground.

Mmm, fair comment. I've got to get up on the roof & sort som ridge tiles after Saturdays stiff breeze- the frost didn't thaw so haven't bothered for similar reasons, hopefully tomorrow will be a bit warmer :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back