Bath pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am changing the taps on my bath to a mixer with shower from individual taps. Currently, the tails from the taps are 22mm copper (TBH I think at least one might be 3/4" not 22mm) which connect to isolator valves at floor level previously hidden in some boxing which I have removed as it was rotten).

In theory I would like to avoid using flexi tubes, however, the problem I have is that the pipes were originally plumbed in "the wrong way around" (Cold is on the left and hot on the right) My first thought was to cut the tails back and use flexi hoses.

I would also like to replace the isolators with non-bore reducing ones. (I have already replaced one which had failed to turn off properly) but did not know about non-bore reducing isolators at the time. As the isolators are visible in the room, I wanted to go for the "screw head type" however I gather these aren't too reliable (to my own cost!)

Any suggestions on

A) How I can avoid using flexi hoses, bearing in mind I am only capable of compression fittings and do not have benders

B) What to do about the isolators.

TIA

Sponsored Links
In that cast you'll have to go with flexis.

The isolating valves will be fine if you get decent quality ones. Just make sure you get 'full bore' ones.

Thanks all.

I have been up to do this work now. Thought I would share my experiences and photos and ask for a bit further advice...

First, I replaces the 2 old isolating valves with some full bore ones from my local plumbing shop. The intention is to take the handles off and keep them safe (although I realise the spindles can be turned with a spanner)

This went ok initially, but wiggling the pipes about during the next part of the task meant that one kept coming loose and leaking.

Next I fitted the two original tails in their reverse positions. (remember the aim was to get the hot tap on the left -if I had replaced in their original positions these would be the wrong way around.

Cleaned the two pipes where I planned to cut the pipes, cut and fitted two full bore (not very) flexi hoses:

Yes they are a bit wonky, but I figured they'd be ok by the time the bath was in.

I also replaced the old grey waste as it had rotten through at the elbow outside.

PROBLEMS!: The hot tap is leaking at the compression fitting. I had fitted a 3/4 inch olive and plenty of compound.

When I try to get the pipes lined up along the wall, the pressure of the tails is too much and is forcing the connection at the isolator to come loose. So, basically I have 2 leaks.

Behind the basin I also have a bit of a problem. When we replaced the suite about 8 years ago, we connected on to the two reducing tees with some new pipe work, although this isn't leaking, the joints are swivelling loosely on the old joints. The spacing of the 2 tees is also such that they dont fit behind the rear of the pedestal very well.

I am thinking now that my best option for long term reliability might be to move the 2 isolators to the pipes where they come through the wall into the room, then redo everything in the room with new tube and soldered fittings. As I don't have the tools and don't anticipate doing this kind of work, I'm thinking of getting a pro in. Do you think this is about half a day's work for an experienced plumber?

Thanks all...

Sponsored Links
22mm compression joins are quite difficult to tighten, particularly under a bath. It might just need a bit more tightening (no need to use compound) If olive is failing use some PTFE tape over the olive , not on the thread or replace the olive by carefully hacksawing off the old one.

You could buy a longer flexi for the one that is under stress.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back