bath running out of water ????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when i run my bath it only fills quarter way then the hot and cold run out of water. it seems to take ages for water to flow again. i have a cold water tank in the loft and a smaller tank next to it. the cold water downstairs is running ok. thanks for any help guys

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the taps run dry?

How big is the tank in the loft?

Does it supply both the hot and the cold tap?

How full is it?

Does the ball-cock seem very old or give a poor flow? If so it is relatively easy and cheap to swap it for a new one. When you take the old one off there is a chance you will find there is rust or lime scale in the pipe which you can flush out by turning the supply on briefly with no ball-cock fitted (provided you are watching that it squirts safely into the tank)

Look for signs of rust or lime in the bottom of the tank as a clue to any dirt in the pipes.

Find the stop-cock and check it is fully open. Sometimes people close them if the pipes are noisy.

If you can post some pics of the tank and pipes in the loft that might spark off other ideas.

Presumably you are supplied with mains water, not pumped from a well or anything?

Do you mean the taps run dry?

How big is the tank in the loft?

Does it supply both the hot and the cold tap?

How full is it?

Does the ball-cock seem very old or give a poor flow? If so it is relatively easy and cheap to swap it for a new one. When you take the old one off there is a chance you will find there is rust or lime scale in the pipe which you can flush out by turning the supply on briefly with no ball-cock fitted (provided you are watching that it squirts safely into the tank)

Look for signs of rust or lime in the bottom of the tank as a clue to any dirt in the pipes.

Find the stop-cock and check it is fully open. Sometimes people close them if the pipes are noisy.

If you can post some pics of the tank and pipes in the loft that might spark off other ideas.

Presumably you are supplied with mains water, not pumped from a well or anything?
........... thanks john. ok somebody changed the ballcock the other day but said the flow isnt as fast is it should be, he said it should be gushing out but its filling the same speed as would my toilet cystern. also there was a bit of crap in the bottom of the tank as it wasnt covered properly.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back