Please help !!!!!!!!! I'm going out my mind - Water Pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Water pressure has never been good in my house - well let me explain a little more -

The cold water tap in the bathroom basin is running from the mains - Fine
The Hot water tap in the bathroom basin is running from the header-bad

The Cold water tap in the kitchen sink is running from the mains - Fine
The hot water tap in the kitchen is running from the header tank - Bad

Tap in the bath is running from the header tank COLD - bad
Tap in the bath is running from the heater -> from the header tank HOT - Bad

Shower is running from god knows where - but thats ok ish

Problem I have is the pressure from the hot in the basin in the bathroom and also the cold and hot in the bath are rubbish. Header tank in the loft seems to be kinda low :( no blockages in the pipes as far as I can tell - One thing I have noticed is the two pipes from the header tank come out about 8 ft - Straight hardly any fall at all then 45 degree down to the heater in my lads room. Any ideas anyone ? Just brought a new jacuzzi bath and it's taking a week for it to fill up :(. Many thanks all

Sponsored Links
Your options are either to raise the cold water storage tank, re-pipe the bath cold to mains and pump the hot, or pump the bath cold and the hot to the whole house. You may find you need a bigger cold tank to prevent it running dry due to the increased water flow out of it if you go the pumped route

the height between the tank in the loft to the HW cylinder in metres will only give you 0.1 bar to every 1 metre in height so will be rubbish, you could possibly raise the tank in the loft but won't make much difference, your best option will be to fit a pump to supply your hot and non mains cold, DO NOT pump mains cold as not allowed, this will however not be cheap as a good pump to buy will be around £200-£300 min excluding fitting

the height between the tank in the loft to the HW cylinder in metres will only give you 0.1 bar to every 1 metre in height so will be rubbish, you could possibly raise the tank in the loft but won't make much difference, your best option will be to fit a pump to supply your hot and non mains cold, DO NOT pump mains cold as not allowed, this will however not be cheap as a good pump to buy will be around £200-£300 min excluding fitting

Thanks for the quick response guys :) , If I did buy a pump - where exactly do you fit it ? Does it need to be directly connected to the tank or can it be placed anywhere in the house EG :- in the cabinet under the kitchen sink or does it need to be before the tap upstairs ( so in the loft ) - Thanks all - also which one should I be looking for any advise on pumps would be great. Do I need 2 x pumps - 1 for the cold and 1 for the hot or do these pumps come with hot and cold pumping ? Sorry for all the questions

Sponsored Links
Pressure- schmessure :mrgreen: you got small diameter internal bore taps - suited to EU systems - high or mains pressure :idea: . Take the heads off and you`ll soon see - is about the same size as a urethra :eek:

Pressure- schmessure :mrgreen: you got small diameter internal bore taps - suited to EU systems - high or mains pressure :idea: . Take the heads off and you`ll soon see - is about the same size as a urethra :eek:

They are 15 m pipes going directly into the taps and the bath , So I dont believe that is the case , Thanks for the advise though

best to get around your local plumber to advise and give a free quote, best place for pump is usually in cupboard with hw cylinder as this will make pipework alterations easier and also the electrics will be easier to place, hope this helps

best to get around your local plumber to advise and give a free quote, best place for pump is usually in cupboard with hw cylinder as this will make pipework alterations easier and also the electrics will be easier to place, hope this helps

Thanks Morris for the advise , Do you know of pump that sits above the heater ? I've checked my header tank last night and there is Two pipes that come out of it from the bottom and are 3 inches apart from each other. I'm guessing one of the the pipes is the cold to the shower and also the bath cold and the other will be the pipe that feeds the heater - So is there a pump that can sit there ? I have eletric's up there and also the pipes are easy to get too. I do have one problem with this though , The shower is a power shower by putting a pump at the tank end would this effect the power shower? As always thanks for all the advise

Thanks Morris for the advise , Do you know of pump that sits above the heater ? I've checked my header tank last night and there is Two pipes that come out of it from the bottom and are 3 inches apart from each other. I'm guessing one of the the pipes is the cold to the shower and also the bath cold and the other will be the pipe that feeds the heater - So is there a pump that can sit there ? I have eletric's up there and also the pipes are easy to get too. I do have one problem with this though , The shower is a power shower by putting a pump at the tank end would this effect the power shower? As always thanks for all the advise

Hi guys , Spoke with the shower guys and they said I could disconnect the shower pump and use the new pump to pump the shower (should not break the seals on the shower aslong as the pump doesnt go above 2 bar) However I still need advise on which pump to buy and where to position it ? Would be better to put the pump in the loft however would I need to fit an essex flange ? in fact would I need to fit an essex flange if the pump is above or below the water heater ?

Cheers all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back