Bath Tap Issue: Is it the washer?

Xad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is regarding my bath taps, both have this issue, more so the hot one though.

When i turn it to let the water run, water doesn't come out, i have turn it to the off position again, then turn it to the on position, sometimes a few times. But once the water starts running, i can turn the tap on and off without any problem.

Something seems to get stuck when the taps haven't been turned for a bit. Does this sound like a washer issue?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
not the washer but the tap body coming apart slightly, turn off the water and remove the head and brass tap body, you should have a circlip round the spindle which should be in a groove, sometimes it comes out the groove, either way remove circlip and then "shut" tap down it should unscrew completely, you will probably see the spindle has started to unscrew from itself, tighten it up and refit everything in reverse order. I can actually do this job quicker than i can type it :eek:

Sorry for the delay in response.

I tried to open the tap, but it was fixed on pretty tight, i just wanted to make sure if what i was doing was the right way so i don't damage it.

I unscrewed the side screw on the tap but the top would not come off. I hit it upwards with a tool, but that didn't do it either. Am i supposed to do something else, like screw it off a special way or is it just stuck? If so will WD40 help loosen it up?

Here's another tap that i was able to get the plastic off the top easily from, but couldn't take the tap part off itself:

lxt0x.jpg

eaf4g4.jpg

Is it just a case of wedging it off? Limescale buildup? How do i loosen it off?

Sponsored Links
you'll have a dickins of a job getting that off, its stck tight with limescale,
turn the water off, undo the chrome shroud and lift as high as you can, then using a thin spanner undo the nut thats underneath the shroud,this will part the top part of the tap and give you access to the tap washer,

Those are BS 1010 taps - way earlier than the horrible circlip ones :evil: and you probably have a jumper that started life captive then became free - now the washer sticks to the seating :cry: . All good advice from the guys previously - but time for a set of Tap revivers ( new heads) from a DIY store ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back