Bath waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I am having problems with my bath waste. I have had 2 new wastes fitted (by qualified plumbers) over the last 9 months....the latest of which was fitted today but still it is leaking.

The plumber today filled the bath up (with cold water) and checked it wasnt leaking, tonight my good lady went for a bath (hot water.....she likes her baths very hot) and when she pulled the plug it was leaking underneath.

The first waste was fitted 9 months ago and since then (before the new waste was fitted today) I have had 5 other fixes to it.

I live above someone so I am really worried about leaking onto them again....so much so that my bath panel is now not attached so that I can get underneath and check regularly (at the moment daily with fresh cardboard put underneath the waste so that I can see if it drips).

I have British Gas Homecare 400 and have thought about phoning them out but not sure what to do. I really like the plumber that I have used and he has done other jobs for me but this seems to stump him.

Anyone any suggestions as to why this is still leaking?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you've had a few fitted with same fault have you checked around the hole in the bath where the waste fits to see if it's cracked etc ?

Sponsored Links
yeah, both plumbers have checked this - it is only leaking when a bath is taken, it is fine with showers and is only leaking when you empty the bath.

Hi everyone

I am having problems with my bath waste. Anyone any suggestions as to why this is still leaking?

Cheers
who wrapped the black tape round it :?: New waste - + new Trap - job done ;)

yeah, both plumbers have checked this - it is only leaking when a bath is taken, it is fine with showers and is only leaking when you empty the bath.
that`s because the pipework fills completely with water when a bath full is let go - shows the leak between the waste and the trap - It ain`t rocket science :mrgreen: I`d get a hemp/silicone grommet under that backnut too - that will withstand 10 bar pressure ;)

[/quote] who wrapped the black tape round it :?: New waste - + new Trap - job done ;)[/quote]

There is no black tape around it :confused: black waste pipe going into white u bend.

I am not sure what a hemp/silicone grommet is.....not planning on doing the job myself......but just want a basic understanding of why this is happening - my plumber yesterday filled the bath and let it drain and it was fine, yet last night a filled bath is leaking - the only real difference being that it is hot water last night as opposed to cold water in the morning.

Get rid of that plastic bath waste and get a brass one.

There were a lot of cases recently whereby on a certain manufacturer's plastic bodied 5 star combination sink waste and overflows, the heat of the water was expanding the overflow pipe and it was detaching from the waste. Sploosh, as it were, in the sink unit.

I would get your plumber back and get them to fill bath with hot water, trace the leak and repair from there.

I always make sure all the jointing surfaces are very clean and put silicone sealant on ALL jointing surfaces before bolting together. (not including the trap)

I never have a problem.

With it being a recurring problem i was thinking is the bath supported properly,could it be flexing breaking the seal.

Hi everyone

Hopefully got it sorted.....plumber came in and filled the bath with cold water and it drained fine, got him to fill it with hot water and it leaked pretty badly, much to his amazement!

Fingers crossed this is the end of the problem.

Sorry for not replying but been busy at work........I am not sure what was done differently......I got another new waste fitted but I have not yet sealed the bath panel back on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back