Bath waste leaking. Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know the best thing to use in order to stop a leak from a bath waste?

Unfortunately it’s an acrylic bath with a pop-up waste and the leak is coming from under the grate (top part). Between the grate and the bath there was originally fitted with a supplied rubber washer but as this seemed so flimsy an attempt has been made to remove the washer and use Plumber’s Mait to create a seal. Not wise on acrylic of course and the leak still persists. Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Get rid of plumbers mate, this next to useless. Clean surfaces and use quality clear silicon and poly washer (use loads of silicon to prevent overflow from moving when set)

A lot of people think I'm a bit loopy in the head so to remove all doubt I'm about to prove it. I've changed the lyrics to an old TV advert to get my message across. The first one to guess it wins a bar of white chocolate :!:

The silicone kid is strong and tough
And even to much is not enough
The creamiest gunge
The slippiest lube
The goodness in a silicone tube

The silicone is in the sheds [yeah]

Sanitary silicone.

You are the Milky Bar kid and I claim my bar of sickly sweet sticky stuff.

Sponsored Links
Gasguru said:
Get rid of plumbers mate, this next to useless. Clean surfaces and use quality clear silicon and poly washer (use loads of silicon to prevent overflow from moving when set)

Thanks, GG. How long does this material take to dry? I have some Unibond white bathroom and kitchen sealant and it gives a drying time of 18 - 24 hours. Is the clear stuff any quicker?

Sluggy, get that lyric copyrighted now!. If Unibond or Dow Corning see that they will be sure to use it.

I think you can get some silicone based stuff for plumbing joints - its sets even in the wet, but not rock hard so you can still get it apart.

dal5band said:
I think you can get some silicone based stuff for plumbing joints - its sets even in the wet, but not rock hard so you can still get it apart.

Thanks alot, Dal5. I will check it out.

chainsaw_masochist said:
Gasguru said:

Thanks, GG. How long does this material take to dry? I have some Unibond white bathroom and kitchen sealant and it gives a drying time of 18 - 24 hours. Is the clear stuff any quicker?

Sluggy, get that lyric copyrighted now!. If Unibond or Dow Corning see that they will be sure to use it.

Don't use 'sealant' use clear silicone. Sealant is liable to harbour germs IMHO. Usually so long as the joint is sturdy enough you can use the bath within an hour or so but leave it as long as you can.
I do have a yen for crap like that lol and have won quite a few prizes for 14 words or less type competitions and similar. I'll be looking out now for a silicone manuf's competition as you suggest

Slugbabydotcom said:
Don't use 'sealant' use clear silicone. Sealant is liable to harbour germs IMHO. Usually so long as the joint is sturdy enough you can use the bath within an hour or so but leave it as long as you can.
I do have a yen for rubbish like that lol and have won quite a few prizes for 14 words or less type competitions and similar. I'll be looking out now for a silicone manuf's competition as you suggest

Right, following that I have bought some Dow Corning 785 (Sanitary Acetoxy Silicone). Should do the trick, though difficult words to use in a rhyming couplet, even for you, Slug :) .

kevplumb said:
your more likley to get a tube of silicone inserted into an orifice

...and plenty of people waiting to insert it on General Chat! ;)

Sanitary silicone 785 from Dow Corning
Will sort out your plughole before the dawning of morning.

As for the milky bar. I was only joking
When you bend down to get it. your bum I'll be poking :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back