Leaking bath waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick ask for help!

I noticed that there is a slight leak from the pop-up bath waste I have. It's more noticable when a bath is emptied than say, when the shower is run.

From what I can feel, the water is leaking from between the underneath of the bath, and the big round sealing washer thing. It seems that the whoever installed the bath has put silicon sealant between the bottom of the bath and the washer, so I am guessing that this means the actual seal is not good enough, and water is managing to get out!

What shall I do?

Sponsored Links
re seal it.
its quite common to put a smear of clear silicone on when fitting.

Can I do this without taking the waste apart (read - I wouldn't have a clue how to do this)?

I mean, can I just attempt to reach around and squirt some sealant in?

Also, the bath doesn't leak when the waste is closed, so I guess this further confirms that it is only leaking from underneath?

really needs taking out cleaning up and reseal
if its wet or greasey the silicone won't stick.

Sponsored Links
Any clue as to how I take it apart? From the top I can't see any screws, just looks like a bolt head with a hole in it! I really don't have much room for movement underneath either.

Is there anyway of cleaning it in situ with some meths on a cloth, and then sealing in the gap or anything?

so many different ones
if you say a bolt head with hole in middle they useally have a slot across the bolt head for a screwdriver.

it may be just loose against the bottom of bath.

Modern technology is great...

IMG_0473_1.jpg

Is it just a mater of using a screwdriver to try and tighten it? (clockwise??)

hold the underneath and try tighten it may be tight.
if it is tight then you'll have to remove and reseal.

but yes put screwdriver in that slot.
don't go to mad or you'll just push the seal out.

If I unscrew it the other way, will this in effect drop the waste down so I can remove the old sealant, without it all falling apart?

Apologies, I would try it now, but I am really tired, and when you are tired, that's when things go wrong!

yes it will just come off the screw and clean etc replace.

thought you had done it and finished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back