Bath and Basin Waste Tips Needed- Always Having Problems.

It's difficult to know if all's easily sorted, in your case, by simply tightening the screw. It really depends on what's used to also seal the gaps.

If I only knew what they used for the gaps.

I have asked them to run their bath full before it reaches the overflow, leave it for 10 minutes, then pull the plug, and I've asked they tell me when they are about to do this so I can listen for dripping sounds.

Sponsored Links
Good luck with it. Best if they could remove the side panel to demonstrate it's been sorted.

Leaking bath and basin wastes appear to be a common issue - the number of places I've been into and you see the ceiling's been patched up in the room beneath!

Thanks, the thing is I wasn't as much up to date with all this when these chaps that were apparently plumbers arrived at the flat above me, or I would have asked more questions than I did.

Whoever put the panel on originally required to use a sealing gun to fire whatever is used to keep the panels back into place, so now that has been done I don't think they will want to open it back up again.

What I have said is if they could let me know when they are about to run the bath full again, then leave it about 5 mins, then pull the plug, then when I know this is happening I will listen carefully, and if I do hear those sounds again then they will just need to open the panel again.

I agree with you, this should have been done previously.

Leaking bath and basin wastes appear to be a common issue - the number of places I've been into and you see the ceiling's been patched up in the room beneath!
Yeah, and all because some people try to do these jobs of installing baths etc on the cheap, and think they will get away with it without causing any problems.

I've asked the neighbour more than once to run the bath full for testing, still waiting to hear from her so I can listen for drips.

I have told her that all it needs is to run the bath full with cold water then let me know when she pulls the plug out.

Keep you informed of the outcome.

Sponsored Links
I have just joined because I found this thread very helpful

I fitted my new bath leak free by using some of the hints here, but mainly I took my time and did not rush.
I had a good quality bath, and made sure the cut outs for the waste and overflow were clear of any swarf etc before fitting the parts.
I used a thin smear of LS-X silicone sealant on each mating face of the waste and overflow, and on the spigots for the overflow hose.
I used a good quality screw drive hose clip on the lower overflow hose connection.
I fitted the waste and overflow, screwed the connections up snugly, but not so tight as to risk distortion, then left eveything for 24 hours to allow the sealant to cure.
This proved to be water tight at the first attempt.
I appreciate a professional may not have 24 hours to spare, but even a couple of hours will see the sealant start to cure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back