bath waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have moved into a new house and the bath waste is very slow. The bath is on the first floor and the 50mm waste pipe runs surface of the floor to a inch?waste down pipe that is boarded in. The sink waste goes to the same down pipe and clears okay. Have used all types of cleaners but doesn not seem to help? :cry:

Sponsored Links
Probably not enough drop most builders who run the waste on the floor level of the bathroom provide no drop at all.

You will probably find that the route it has to take goes across the joists, and there is little you can do to change the route due to the fact it's an internal soil stack (which I hate).

Consider turning bath round, or have the bath taken out and raised, at the same time renew the waste pipe fittings and trap, they cost very little.

Or make a duct in the top of the room below and provide a slope, boss into the soil stack lower down.

Make sure the builder used a 75mm trap, most don't.

Does the 50mm waste have a fall over its length,ie is it higher at the bath end and have a continuous downward slope all the way from there?
Do you really mean a vertical waste pipe one inch diameter?
What cleaners have you used?

Recently refitted my bathroom and wanted to hide the bathwaste behind the platerboard wall/skirting board.
Tried various experiments.

Width from the bath to the soil pipe is approx 2M

1) 40mm waste with a fall of approx 2". Time to empty 3:15mins
2) 32mm wate pipe with a fall of approx 2". Time to empty 3:45mins
3) 40mm wate with NO fall but set tight to the floor (to get max head pressure). Time to empty 3:15mins

So in my case seems that the fall across the room did not help.

BUT notice that the op states "waste pipe runs surface of the floor to a inch?waste down" thus suggest thats where the problem lies.

Sponsored Links
Fascinating figures! I'll use 2" pipe on my bath then.

Wot happens with "flat" pipes which have been in a while though is that all the hair, soap and goo builds up in the pipe, because it doesn't empty. On the really cheap thin pushfit pipe, which is also worst for sagging flat to a floor if poorly supported, you can shine a torch through and see the build-up.

Edit - ok I should have written "horizontal" not "flat".

If it has no fall or a negative fall, it would have built up a thick layer of gunk that consistes of hair, scum and grease - todays toiletries are very rich in oils.

If you cant be bothered to renew, then you may want to consider a good quality acid drain cleaner. When I say good quality, I dont mean Mr Muscle or any other supermarket pap. Go down to the plumbers merchant and get hold of some One Shot or something. ( Avoid anything that claims to be environmentally friendly - it is usually pap )

Follow instructions to the letter - the good stuff is usually 98% acid, and very dangerous.

This is my first time on DIYnot.com and thanks for all your replys I will have a look at the various options and try them out. P.S. hope this is the right way to respond? Most of the cleaners are from the supermarkets - will go to the plumbing merchants.

smth123 said:
We have moved into a new house and the bath waste is very slow. The bath is on the first floor and the 50mm waste pipe runs surface of the floor to a inch?waste down pipe that is boarded in. The sink waste goes to the same down pipe and clears okay. Have used all types of cleaners but doesn not seem to help? :cry:
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back