Bath water dripping from downstairs ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am after some advice please.
I've got a property I rent out to a bunch of students and they reported a leak in the ceiling of the downstairs lounge. Upon further examination, it transpires that it's the water flowing out of the bath when they are having a shower. I have a electric shower over a bath tub.

I then installed a new vinyl floor and a bath screen and wanted to keep an eye on this before I repair the ceiling downstairs and put this room on rent again!. I have weeks where there is nothing and suddenly there will then be a puddle because someone has been careless and the water has seeped down the bath again, on to the floor and then though the floor boards.

I've now lost 3 months of rent and don't have a huge budget for this. What's a robust response in this situation please? I am sure this is a common concern

Sponsored Links
I have weeks where there is nothing and suddenly there will then be a puddle because someone has been careless and the water has seeped down the bath again, on to the floor and then though the floor boards.

You have answered your own question, if it only leaks 'sometimes' then it will be user error. My guess is the corner where the shower screen meets the bath. Turn on the shower and hold the shower head in this corner. If it leaks then it will be down to people having long showers and not be 100% watertight.

Post some pictures.

Andy

It probably is some of that but may also be water coming over the screen. I'm just concerned that with the current set-up there will be water seeping through sooner or later and this will damage the new ceiling I will fit. It feels to me that I need something different...

I've never seen water come over a shower screen. Unless we can see pictures then it will all be guess work.

Andy

Sponsored Links
It probably is some of that but may also be water coming over the screen. I'm just concerned that with the current set-up there will be water seeping through sooner or later and this will damage the new ceiling I will fit. It feels to me that I need something different...
Rip the bath out and put in a shower with solid wall panels and a decent size tray

Yes, I've also taken the bath panel off and had a look. It's completely dry under the bath. The leak is coming from water flowing over the edge of the bath tub. It then collects on the vinyl floor and eventually through the floor boards and downstairs ceiling.

Are the wall panels and a shower enclosure the long term solution here as suggested by @Nige F?

With this approach, can I do the following or do you see any flaws:

remove bath
stop cap the water supply to the taps
electric shower is already plumbed over bath
connect shower tray to existing waste using appropriate fittings
cut out tiles where these acrylic panels will go which should mean that the panels are flush with existing tiles
fit the glass enclosure

If I were you and making a mint from the rent, I'd get a plumber in to do it and guarantee it.

With this approach, can I do the following or do you see any flaws:

remove bath
stop cap the water supply to the taps
electric shower is already plumbed over bath
connect shower tray to existing waste using appropriate fittings
cut out tiles where these acrylic panels will go which should mean that the panels are flush with existing tiles
fit the glass enclosure
The only flaw is acrylic panels up to the existing tiling - look at Multipanel, and it's special seal for shower trays ( from Victoria plumb and others ) And consider a door-less walk in shower - no door, no leaks. More out£ay but a 1st. rate job. Multipanel works great here @ home, I just haven't got room for a long walk-in shower;)

You have answered your own question, if it only leaks 'sometimes' then it will be user error. My guess is the corner where the shower screen meets the bath. Turn on the shower and hold the shower head in this corner. If it leaks then it will be down to people having long showers and not be 100% watertight.

Post some pictures.

Andy
Personally I would leave the bath where it is and as Andy said use the shower head to spray water around until you find the spot where the water escapes. If the shower head is on a fixed riser then use a watering can and if the mastic/ silicone around the bath is old then have it redone by a pro.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back