Water dripping through ceiling!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the past year we've occasionally had water dripping through our kitchen ceiling when the bath or shower from upstairs is draining away! The bath and shower are in different rooms... To remedy this problem we put drain unblocker down the bath and shower and the problem disappears for 3 or 4 months then starts again until we use the unblocker. There is obviously a blockage that needs cleared professionally but I can't understand why water comes through the ceiling. I would think that if the pipe was blocked then the water would just drain away very slowly and should not drip through the kitchen ceiling... is there an overflow built into the drainage system that would cause this?

Sponsored Links
The blockage results in a higher water level (and maybe pressure) in the waste pipes and coupled with an iffy joint results in a leak.

Would you suggest getting the system professionally flushed to completely unblock the system and possibly the use of a camera?

Sponsored Links
I would suggest gaining access to it so that it can be viewed by eye and rectified by hand. Don't waste money on flushing and videoing it. If the run goes through several decorated rooms, consider alternative rerouting of a new waste system that will minimise disruption, if possible. Don't know without seeing setup.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back