Bath water is tepid, please help..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hot water in my bath upstairs comes out tepid, yet the water in the sink in the bathroom comes out piping hot. There are no problems with the kitchen sink downstairs either. There is no change to the flow of water. This has been going on for a few months now and I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be. I've contacted a couple of engineers about this and they've never heard of this before. I'm a bit reluctant to get them to look at the problem if they have no experience of this. Has anyone else experienced this or know what the problem could be?

Sponsored Links
Almost certainly your bath has been fitted with a TMV - temperature is usually set at around 43C.

Is this a recently built house?

Ripped out a few tmv in the last year fitted on new builds 3-5 years old failing.
Customers don't want to pay for new tmv valve

Sponsored Links
I know the feeling - I had an interesting chat with our local (friendly BCO) about the subject - his view is that removing a TMV from a new build is a breach and either the plumber removing them or the householder could be be in trouble if somebody was scalded.

But why should the person living in that house have to pay for a new valve when they are perfectly able to test water temperature. Especially given most of this site are fed by combis. Unlikely to get scalding water out of a 24kw combi trying to fill a bath.

I guess that the number of scalds must be significant (esp. older people & young children) so that it became enacted into law.

Combi filling a bath - the first 40 litres have gone cold by the time the bath is usable!

It's mixer taps in the bath, the rest of the taps are separate. The house was built early 1900's and I've lived in the house for about 10 years but this is a new problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back