Bathroom Air Vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a average small size bathroom, about the size of a standard box room. It has a window, that we always open when in the bath and shower, and leave open for about 15mins after getting out.
The problem is the ceiling above the shower keeps getting damp patches on it, this is beacuse even though the window is open if its windy outside, as normally is, the steam blows back in and causes this problem.

I was think of putting a small say 4" vent in the ceiling about the shower, something like (http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/375596141/ABS_round_ceiling_air_vent.jpg) now is there any building regs etc that say this must be vented to outside by a pipe etc, or can i vent the slight amount of excess steam into the loft ? The loft is boads so i was going to cut the hole in the board and pop say 10" of 100mm pipe so it vented out into the loft.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Venting into the loft space is a big no - no.....consider a fan going straight out of the wall (it doesn't need to be directly above the shower) or if that isn't possible, flexible ducting is available to exhaust the steam via a soffit.
John :)

Before even finishing reading the OP's or seeing burners reply i'd of said the same, flexy ducting up and out through the soffit, jobs a good un and everyones happy, but don't just vent into the loft space, will cause allsorts of other issues, probably wet rot, loft spaces have a tendancy to sweat as they are without more humid air being pumped in

Hi all thanks for the replys. Will take a look at best way to do it. Looks like a 4inch vent with a 100mm flex hose seems best option.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can buy a fan that fits in line with the trunking, if thats easier......often used when its difficult to get electricity to a wall mounted fan.
Either way, if the fan is mounted in the ceiling, allow the ducting to initially rise up, followed by a gradual fall down to the soffit - leaving no hollows for condensation to collect.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back