Bathroom and plaster board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Re-doing the ol bathroom.

Stripped off the plaster down to bare brick.

Considering using dot,dab and screw insulated plasterboard (regular, not waterproof).

Using liquid tanking compound around the bath, toilet and other areas that will be tiled.

Few coats of acrylic eggshell over the rest of the walls & ceiling.

Will the tanking be enough? Or will the lack of waterproof plasterboard eventually present issues?

Any thoughts welcome :)

Cheers,
Fubar.

Sponsored Links
evening fubar. I did a shower in 2005 on plasterboard. See it regularly, no problems.I did butter lay the tiles, didn't use notched spreader. I didn't tank it, wasn't so widespread then. Tanking seems a very worthwhile precaution.

Cheers Dean,

Bathroom I've had previosuly was just plasterboard and showed no real signs of decay outside of paint peel in a couple of corners (in-correct paint).

All good :)

Fubar.

If you're going to all that effort why not use waterproof boards instead? Surely they only cost about £3-£4 extra per sheet.

Sponsored Links
I wish.

1.2x2.4 12.5mm Taper edge...

Regular plasterboard : £4.98
Moisture resistant : £10.65

At over 200% the price, can't really justify doing the whole room.

As it is, we've now finished boarding it all, 3 panels of moisture resistant around the bath, the rest is regular.

Fubar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back