Bathroom basin waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are replacing our bathroom fittings. Everything is working OK except the basin waste which is leaking. We think the leak originates from the fact that there is space between the sink (the plug hole) and the side of the waste. Does anyone know if sealant/grease or anything else should be used when fitting a waste (other than the seal supplied with the waste). Thank you.

Sponsored Links
The design of a lot of that sort of stuff is appalling. White silicone seems to be the universal answer. Water usually runs down the thread of a basin waste , past the nut. Same solution works, amongst others.

In addition to silicon round the seal you can try winding PTFE tape around the threading before you put the nut on. This fills in any nooks and crannies (especially the crannies :D ) so water doesn't flow down the threads. It is dead cheap and you can get it anywhere.

PTFE tape is a very thin plastic tape, made of polytetrafluoroethylene which is more commonly known as Teflon. I love throwing these nuggets in.

Sponsored Links
Useless stuff! Doesn't stick to anything, no elasticity. Carried a tub for years, until I asked myself why. Ok as a temporary bung, at a pinch.

Thanks guys - got some plumbers mait and it seems to have worked! Not sure about the comment about it not being sticky though - it sticks to everything, and just how are you supposed to get it off of your hands?.... :oops:

White spirit will clean it.
Yours must be particularly oily - like glazing putty can be. When the oil evaporates a bit it dries out. If you think that's sticky, try rolling a blob of silicone in your hands. But don't let that "dry" or you won't get your hands apart!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back