Basin waste seal aaarrrggghhh!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking for inspiration. I'm having very frustrating times getting a seal on my basin waste in the bathroom. I've fitted the basin three times now and can't get to a situation where there's no leak from the waste.

It's a pop up waste. I'm using sealant top and bottom, with the supplied washer on both sides. I've refitted the sealant each time, cleaning the hole between. I'm about to pull my hair out at this stage, and hoping someone here can help.

Is there another way to seal these things?

Sponsored Links
They tend to leak through the thread of the waste, try wrapping a bit of ptfe round the waste where the nut meets the bottom of the basin or buy the the basin seal as the above post.

Sponsored Links
- Firstly clean basin and waste outlet thoroughly and make sure it's dry.
- Check that outlet sits flush with top seal (above basin), if not, remove top seal (very often I do not use this seal).
- Liberally apply silicone around inside edge of waste outlet (I use Dow Corning 785 sanitary silicone).
- Fit waste outlet, making sure excess silicone is shown all around the edge of the outlet. Remove and apply more silicone if required.
- On the underside of the basin, silicone around the thread of the outlet, filling the gap between outlet and basin.
- Fit seal, silicone around outlet.
- Fit washer if supplied, silicone not required but I normally do.
- Fit nut and tighten, needs to be fairly tight so that it doesn't move when fitting the trap.
- Immediately clean off silicone around top edge of outlet.
- Smooth and tidy the silicone underneath the basin (wet finger, wipe silicone, clean off finger after each wipe, repeat until satisfactory).
- Keep dry and clean for 24 hours.
- Fit trap and complete the job.

I've never had a leak using this process.

James.

Wow, thanks for all the replies. Great to get such help on a Sunday!

I was thinking it might be coming from the threads, so option A) was to removie the plastic nut and replace it using PTFE tape - but this will disturb whatever seal is there, won't it?

I'm happier with option B) - I've gone for the basin mate, so just getting a cuppa before stripping the waste and removing the silicone.

I presume I don't use any silicone with the basin mate?

Shouldn't need to use anything on the underside of the basin when using the basinmate. Possible need a smear of something (if not using a washer) between the underside of the top of the waste flange and where it meets the basin, to prevent any seepage when the plug is in and the basin full of water.

Thanks to you all. The basin mate is the solution to every basin, I think.

The timetraveller in me bought one of those yesterday and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon. Today's Prenderb is just thankful the job is finished.....

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back