Basin to waste won't seal!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been at it all day putting the waste on and off and still it leaks. I've used silicone around the waste in the sink but due to having to fit the waste in situ due to the closeness of the waste to the cabinet I've not been able to get silicone on under the basin.

I've tried a different waste which had different seal types and still no seal.

I've even bought a Basin Mate from Toolstation which looked the business with its large rubber conical seal but that leaked also. It's also very difficult to get the Basin Mate off again. In the end I had to resort to levering it off with a screwdriver.

The real problem is I'm not sure where it's leaking from, whether its between the china and the seal or coming down the threads of the waste. My gut feeling is it's coming down the threads.

Any help Guys??

Richard

Sponsored Links
When your siliconing the waste to basin are you putting enough on? Any photos?

Mark

Richard ,forget the silicone. get a tub of plumbers mate non setting putty and a roll of PTFE tape .follow these instructions.... wrap 5or 6 turns of PTFE on the thread of the waste making sure you come down lower than the backnut by 1/2 inch. get the putty and roll a sausage shape ,about 6 inch long and 8 mm diameter.apply it to the underside of waste so it will be in between that and the sink. push it into position ,you should get a nice ring of excess putty which you will clear off last of all. on the underside of sink ,again put a roll of putty where the big gap is around threaded waste and hole it comes thru.then fit the washer and big nut .when tightening the nut you will again get a ring of excess putty ,clean that off. all you need to attatch now is the trap, making sure the sealing washer is in place.....jobs a good un !!

Just hope it's not a slotted waste, with all that mate there's a real danger of pushing it into the basin overflow slots and blocking the overflow channel.

Nothing wrong with a small bead of silicone on both top and bottom sides of the internal basin waste seal and then again underneath the basin above and below the rubber seal prior to the nut being added and tightened.

Put the plug in and fill the basin with water, if it leaks then it's leaking past the in basin section of the waste as well as the underside seal, just add some more silicone to the top section, if it doesn't but then you add the trap and pull the plug and it then leaks from underneath then it's leaking from the underside seal.

Sponsored Links
poor old Richard has been trying ALL day with silicone madrab !! and a 6 inch piece of putty ,split top and bottom is nowhere near enough to block any overflow.

herts d , he tried that and then needed a screwdriver to get it out as he still had a leak !!

split top and bottom is nowhere near enough to block any overflow.

Wouldn't be the first time I've pulled PM out of a blocked single slotted waste but horses for courses. I'm not suggesting he doesn't use PM but he hasn't been able to get anything in underneath which is probably where it's leaking from, I'm suggesting silicone goes on the bottom seal top and bottom, stick the seal onto the nut and then screw fit that onto the waste.

All I'm saying is that there's nothing wrong with using silicone, works every time if applied correctly so the OP needs to be careful with the application, if it's done correctly then it will work. If he can't get silicone on then too much mate used blind could cause problems if he's not experienced, the slotted overflow could then be blocked if it's a single slot basin.

madrab, I know where you are coming from mate , no argument about silicone or the methodology that you outlined.but he has been on it all day trying silicone and even a basin mate .thought he needed another approach.and I take your point about going overboard with excess putty ,I have seen it myself loads of times.

Ffs. Was doing this in the 70s with putty and lead washers.
Look at the waste and think! ..............where can the water go? Through the slots and onto the backnut where it follows the threads and leaks. It's not rocket science and silicone is not needed at all.

Had a chat with a good friend who's a Plumber. In his experience he said that it was highly likely that it was leaking down the threads and recommended that I wrap the threads with PTFE plus a good wipe of Plumbers Mait around the seal before tightening up the plastic nut.

Will give that a go tomorrow.

Richard

Sorry Guys, didn't do a page refresh to see all the response before typing my reply above.

Thanks for all the advice.

Richard

Had a chat with a good friend who's a Plumber. In his experience he said that it was highly likely that it was leaking down the threads and recommended that I wrap the threads with PTFE plus a good wipe of Plumbers Mait around the seal before tightening up the plastic nut.

Will give that a go tomorrow.

Richard
You won't and can't fail with that advice.
Give the mait a lick of washing up liquid before you tighten up. Stops it from being dragged out by the backnut.

Silicone/plumbers mate and what is better..... I do love that comparison ..... both are equally as suited to this type of job if used properly IMO.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back