Basin to waste won't seal!!!

A good sausage of pm on both sides of the ceramic and a grohe slip washer above the backnut if the moulding/casting of the basin waste spigot is fubar'd.

Sponsored Links
Well I think I may have done it.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

A lot of you say make a sausage of Plumbers Mate, but my Plumbers Mate is very much a soft paste not like a putty at all. Are there different types of Plumbers Mate?

Richard

Jeepers.... Never had this much effort on a waste..... Don't have plumbers mate. Don't have that Dudley thing.

Just smearette of Silicone, hand tight + a nip and jobs a goodun.

Mind you... I am of course a complete Leg-end so it's only to be expected (y)

Sponsored Links
Hey Guys, just to let you know that though I'm a DIYer I have installed about 15 basins over the several houses that we've owned but this is the first time that I've ever had any problems with leaking. As most of you say, a wipe of silicone and then just hand tight with a nip at the end.

Has something changed over the years? Plastic nuts replacing brass I guess plus the threads look very coarse with flats to the thread profile.

Richard

Has something changed over the years

Cheap fittings and bad basin castings, manufacturing quality from the east has gone to pot unfortunately

I'm also glad someone else suggests the silicone route, that PM is old hat IMO :sneaky: ;)

It really is a no brainer with a little silicone as you suggest, so you must have a bad one Rich (either waste/seal or basin casting). If access is bad then pre butter the underbasin seal with a bead of silicone on its top side then push up into the waste and onto the basin then another bead on the washer face and tighten up. As it tightens on the seal it should force itself into the threads, don't overtighten or you'll force the seal out.

Sometimes I have a live tube of silicone - but I always have some PM at the bottom of the tub :p

I remember when "plumbers mait" hit the merchants back in the 70's , it was a pile of shyte back then..
The shyte is used on pan cons , waste grates , flush pipe cones , bath overflows , top hats...
I've seen many plastic waste grate back nut threads stripped due to this shyte.
When we stopped using red lead and putty we went over to silicone which has been around since the late 70's early 80's.
Who in their right mind would use plumbers main over silicone FFS.

Who in their right mind would use plumbers main over silicone FFS.

Someone who is forward thinking. Always think about the next guy that may need to do any work. (might be you at 3am)

Someone who is forward thinking. Always think about the next guy that may need to do any work. (might be you at 3am)
Nah, that forward thinking guy is the one that uses just enough silicone to do the job. It then pops apart almost as easily as the parts themselves.

I'd prefer seeing that at 3am than a sticky greasy mess that just won't clean off anything it comes into contact with. Even then, I wouldn't be looking at anything like either of them at 3am tbh as there shouldn't be anything where it would be used that would then warrant a 3am emergency callout. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back