Bathroom Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, after watching one of those daft housey programs last night I now know my plumbing is not bonded. I had a new bathroom installed a year ago and the plumber did not mention it.

Is this an imeadiate hazzard? We are planning on moving in 6 months, is it worth the cost of getting it done? Any ideas how much it will cost?

Thanks
Itchy

House was built circa 1930

Sponsored Links
itchy said:
Hi, after watching one of those daft housey programs last night I now know my plumbing is not bonded. I had a new bathroom installed a year ago and the plumber did not mention it.
That's plumbers for you..
plumber1.gif

Is this an imeadiate hazzard?
You've lived without it so far. Yes, it is a hazard, but not as much as some. There is no requirement in the wiring regulations to bring all old installations up to scratch.

We are planning on moving in 6 months, is it worth the cost of getting it done? Any ideas how much it will cost?
It's not a difficult job, but.....
House was built circa 1930
....what's the rest of the wiring like? If you get an electrician in to do the supplementary bonding, then what else will he find? How long have you been in the house? Do you know anything about its wiring history?

If the work was new work, then surely it should be done to exsisting regulations.

New pipework should be bonded.

salem2000 said:
If the work was new work, then surely it should be done to exsisting regulations.
No legal requirement (yet).

Mind you - we are all assuming that the new pipework is copper, not plastic...

Sponsored Links
Hi, I've just checked the pipework. The last 10 inches going to the bath taps is plastic. The thread that the pipe work screws into on the toilet is plastic but the sink taps are metal and there is a fexible metal hose going to them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back