Bathroom ceiling condensation

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, first-time poster here, so apologies in advance for any missteps!

Here's the issue:
I'm experiencing large water spots on my bathroom ceiling during winter months, likely due to condensation.

The details:
- The unit is on the top (3rd) floor of a triple-decker, right below the roof (flat rubber, warm roof with blown-in insulation)
- The fan is an adjustable Panasonic model, but I do not know the specific CFM it is set to (could be anywhere from 50-110)
- The fan connects to a flexible 4" duct that runs about horizontally before connecting to a vertical roof vent (with a candy cane shape)
- Unfortatelt I cannot access the attic space between the ceiling and roof (it's ~18" of space, with no access point)

My gut is that the condensation is likely due to one (or multiple) of the following causes:
- Underpowered fan
- Lack of insulation around the fan or duct
- Some issue with the roof vent

Has anyone experienced, and ideally solved, an issue like this? Just trying to figure out the best next steps to diagnose and fix this.

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Fan may not be up to it or you open a window during use ? which also increases condensation .Keeping room warm during use also reduces condensation as it keeps moisture airborne longer so fan can remove.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back