Bathroom ceiling height!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to buy a house which has one compromise - the ceiling height above the bath/shower.

The bathroom is a typical ground floor lean to on a Victorian terrace house and due to the angle of the roof when I stand in the bath to shower (I'm 6 foot) my head hits the ceiling.

Is there a solution to this other than adding roof height? I was thinking of changing the bath for one with a (really) low level bath and frame but don't know the practicalities of this or even if they are available.

Thoughts most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
(I'm 6 foot) my head hits the ceiling.
No good for me and Dan!

Is it possible to position the bath is nearer the roof's apex?

Drop the floor?

Level the roof to a flat roof instead of sloping?

Raising the ceiling height could be an option but first I'd look at changing the bath - are there baths available that sit really low in a frame or don't require a frame?

Digging out the floor could also work but again it's a case of cost so exploring a different bath would be first choice.

With the bath height you are really limited by the trap clearance. You have a solid floor by the sounds of it, so the bath can only go so low, how much do you need it to drop by would you say?
Have you removed the panel, if so how high is the bath trap from the floor? Couple of pics may help.

Sponsored Links
Having a low height bath will only alter the distance from the top of the bath to the ceiling. The bottom of the trough of the bath will still need to be slightly above the floor to allow for a trap and fall for the waste pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back