Bathroom ceiling - joists not level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Enthusiastic but amateur DIYer here. I'm working on a bathroom (and house) renovation...

Due to various works in our bathroom including moving the soil stack and heating flue which was boxed in, we had some large holes and several big cracks in the plasterboard that needed repairing.

Rather than repairing each hole (which in hindsight would have been the best approach) I decided to take down the entire ceiling to replace the boards which I was going to do myself. It seemed quite simple, if a bit messy.

Unfortunately, after taking the ceiling down, I've found that all 4 of the ceiling joists are out of level, with one in particular hanging down much lower than the others. It's a 60s house, and like a lot of things in this house, it's not straight. The ceiling wasn't visibly warped when it was up so it's frustrating to now be in this position which is of my own doing, but it is what it is.

So, does anyone have any advice please? I guess I need to pack out the joists that are too low to level it all off? Other option is to get a professional in, but I was really trying hard to save money on what is already a tight budget.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Should have just overboarded old ceiling without taking it down , you could use this stripwood from.b&q to level it up just use some panel pins to attach them to the joist

Sponsored Links
How much out of level across what distance? Plasterboard will accommodate ±10mm between joists, the plasterer can sort flatting it off :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back