Oh dear, foot through ceiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Problems problems.

I have just performed the classic maneuver and put my foot through the ceiling of our bathroom. I was insulating between the joists and slipped of the joist resulting in a skinned shin and £2 into the swear box.

My question is, can this be repaired easily or will the whole ceiling have to come down and be replastered. The hole is the size of a size 10 Doc Martin. My Bro' in law suggested it can be repaired by cleaning the damage plasterboard back and laying another piece of board on top of the original ceiling and skimming into that.

Any advice on what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
sounds about right.
put a board above, screw that down with battens above, screws from below.
Then fill, then skim.

Thats how I would do it, its how I did it & it was fine.

cut a nice square out of it (which should include the size 10 doc marten hole) and cut it so that you reveal 20mm of each joist.

using the piece you cut out as a template cut a fresh piece of board to match (without cutting a new size 10 doc marten hole in the middle)

screw new piece in the hole and to the joists.

you may (without seeing it it's hard to tell) get away with then filling out level with the rest of the ceiling with easifill and sanding back nice and smooth, otherwise skim the darn lot

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys,

that sounds relatively easy and more importantly inexpensive.

One of the up-sides of this so called recession is that skilled tradesmen, like plasterers, are getting easier to find and easier to pay with the work being scarce.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back