Bathroom Ceiling Paint Peeling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Our bathroom ceiling was replastered end of last year, I applied a couple of watered down coats of emulsion, then a couple of coats of normal emulsion.

A crack in the paint appeared - reading some of the posts this seems to be a common problem.....

Bathroom window is opened "after" a shower.....however I have now installed an extractor to provide a route out during the shower....

Now I have this whats the best way to get the paint on ceiling not too crack......

Thanks.....

Sponsored Links
{Just checked my crack}

Their not cracks as such more like "splits"

The plaster is not damaged. The major one the paint has peeled away but there are lots of the smaller ones in the paint.....

Sponsored Links
Here we go...

The main crack / peel

There are others similar to this

I think it may be steam related but hopefully with the fan will minimise the chance of it happening again but would appreciate advice on achieving this paint wise.....

Cheers

That looks to me like steam has penetrated a crack and got behind it ..at first I thought I was a leak from above..

Scrape the worse away, give the area over and around the crack a coat of thinned emulsion, fill, rub down and touch in with emulsion...toy may need to repaint the ceiling completely again after that if it shows.

Use vinyl matt emulsion..it gives better protection than contract (non vinyl) matt.

Hi Guys - thanks for the input . will probably do the whole ceiling with the layers as it will be easier then patching!

Wish me luck this weekend.....

Didn't quite get round to the ceiling last weekend for various reasons....so this weekend it will be done.....

Checking the paint I used last time.....

B&Q BaseCoat (thinned down) then a proper coat

and then top coat

B&Q Brightwhite Matt

Looking over the pots no where does it say Vinyl emulsion therefore assuming it is a nonvinyl - can anyone confirm ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back