Bathroom ceiling rose pull switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new Bathroom ceiling rose pull switch to connect. The new switch connections looked slightly different to the old one. There are two wires from the ceiling both consisting of one red, one black and an earth (yellow/green), the new pull switch has connections marked earth, com and L1. Please could someone advise of the correct position for the two wires.

Sponsored Links
How was the original switch wired.

Don't say you took it off without noting where the wires went, surely no ones that stupid!!

One doesn't normally expect 2 cables to a light switch (unless there's a 2nd switch in the circuit somewhere, and from your description that doesn't sound likely). So you need to do a little checking first. Find out what it is you really have there.

Of course, any system that results in 2 cables could be doing anything, so everything done, or conclusions made, is at your own risk. I'm sure the best solution would be to call in the expert and let it be their concern.

Failing that. This doesn't sound dissimilar to a previous thread here. 2 possibilities are a) that the cables go to 2 different light fittings or b) that someone has fed the mains power first to the switch and then to the light. Or a 3rd possibility that I've not thought of.

I started to write a suggested course of action, but the more I think of it, there's a difference in what I'd be prepared to do to check things out for myself, and what I'd be prepared to advise someone else to do via a forum. But basically you need to find out where each of the cables go, what they connect to. If you feel confident that's easily within your capability then that's the next step. If not, call someone in to find out for you, or you may get a large bang, or worse.

Sponsored Links
One red to each of com and L1, both earths to earth, and join the blacks together with conenctor block

The other wire goes to another old pull cord switch with red light on it (although i will need to check in loft to be sure). This doesnt do anything, so could I remove it?

Manipulate said:
The other wire goes to another old pull cord switch with red light on it (although i will need to check in loft to be sure). This doesnt do anything, so could I remove it?

That actually sounds more like an old shower isolator! Check in the loft.

Ye, thats what I said, i will double check in the loft. Can I then get rid of the wire and old pull switch and connect the new light switch.

Manipulate said:

Did that red light ever light up? If it was a switch in parralel to a normal switch and is wired with only two cores, then the red light cannot illuminate (the light would need a neutral). If it did previously illuminate, then something unusual is going on.

You really need to confirm whether one of the wires goes to the second switch with a light; and what other wires are present in that switch, and where they came from.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back