Bathroom ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just tiled my bathroom floor to ceiling in large porcelain tiles(first mistake)
Using a laser level the floor and tiles are level and square.
The problem is the ceiling.
The tile gap at the top goes from 12mm at one end to 30mm at the other end.
Is it possible an expert plasterer could level the ceiling without the need to reboard it?
I don't want to hide this disaster with coving if possible.
Any advice appreciated.

Frank

Sponsored Links
If you want to low down the higher end of the ceiling, what difference it makes if it is plastered or reboarded?

I've just tiled my bathroom floor to ceiling in large porcelain tiles(first mistake)
Using a laser level the floor and tiles are level and square.
The problem is the ceiling.
The tile gap at the top goes from 12mm at one end to 30mm at the other end.
Is it possible an expert plasterer could level the ceiling without the need to reboard it?
I don't want to hide this disaster with coving if possible.
Any advice appreciated.

Frank
"edit" yes it is you could either level it out or reboard to bring the level down, you should have measured out first so you wasent left with this gap and then scribe the tiles to fit the ceiling line, (another edit) this gap wouldent look out of place filled with tile grout, it would be hardley noticable

could you take the top row of tiles off and replace with new ones and cut accurate with the ceiling. may work out cheaper than a spread reboarding skimming etc.....

Sponsored Links
concur with stevethespreader. i had to fill similar gap at the ceiling with grout..it does not look bad!

Thanks for the advice.
Stevethespreader says it can be leveled.
I don't have the skill needed to do this but I am assuming a skilled plasterer can do it bearing in mind he needs to go from 30mm to 12mm.
I suspect it would have to be done in stages as 30mm of plaster over a couple of metres must weigh a fair bit and getting it level must take some doing.
Now to find the right man for the job.
Thanks again.

Frank

Thanks for the advice.
Stevethespreader says it can be leveled.
I don't have the skill needed to do this but I am assuming a skilled plasterer can do it bearing in mind he needs to go from 30mm to 12mm.
I suspect it would have to be done in stages as 30mm of plaster over a couple of metres must weigh a fair bit and getting it level must take some doing.
Now to find the right man for the job.
Thanks again.

Frank

thats going to be the toughest part!

Now this may sound daft but if you have got a good tile cutter (electric or manual) and you have some tiles left over why dont you measure each gap and cut the tiles to suit? If you can use the machine edge of each tile to machine edge and have the cut to the ceiling. Just cut a few and put them up to see how it looks. It has got to be better than grout. It may not get noticed when you have grouted them in. I know for a fact that these size cuts can be made, do each one and measure both ends of the tile so you follow the ceiling line not your tile line... ;)

Roy, I suspect the OP tried to finish with a whole tile to the ceiling. So he is left now with a gap varying between 12 and 30 mm. Yes, he had to do as you suggest but it is too late now, if my assumption is correct.

Tiling a ceiling with ceramic or porc tiles over plasterboard is a crazy idea. If you really want a tiled ceiling, with all the difficulties that involves, you need something a bit stronger than plasterboard; what size/weight tiles have you used? Raw plasterboard will take 32 kg/sqm but if you plaster it, it reduces to 20 kg/sqm & that includes the weight of the addy; but that's on virtical walls, overhead it's going to be an awfull lot less, maybe half that before you start to distort the PB over time. Hard hats should be standard issue in your bathroom!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back