Knackered bathroom walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
whilst removing the tiles from the bathroom the render behind the tiles came off the wall leaving a massive hole, would I plaster this hole being as I need to tile over it afterwards, also I will be needing tile other walls so am hoping the original plaster which seems reasonably sound, will be ok for the weight being as the tiles I am using are large porcelain items, would really appreciate a quick reply on this

Sponsored Links
Yes - if a big hole us a bonding, then multi-finish plaster. The flatter the finish of the plastering, the better the finish once you've tiles.

Thanx for that u may well have saved me a bit of cash there, was gonna go and buy aquaboard for the area around the bath, what do u think?

Thanx for that u may well have saved me a bit of cash there, was gonna go and buy aquaboard ...... what do u think?

Do bit more research on this forum first. To replace patch with render would be better than using gypsum in a wet area.
Also drying time to consider. Aquapanel could help you avoid that. Read up and ask questions ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanx for that u may well have saved me a bit of cash there, was gonna go and buy aquaboard for the area around the bath, what do u think?

If it's already flat, you could put aquaboard up - if you are doing the whole bathroom, that may well be best. Depends what you want to do with the pipework, electrics for the shower, etc. and your budget. You could, for example, put CLS up and board onto that and use the gap for your pipework.

The best thing you can do is go into the tiling forum and have a look at the Sticky there.
There are a lot of possible mistakes that you are heading towards at the moment.:eek:
Aquaboard is not ideal in a wet area, if it is to be tiled, it would need to be tanked to stop all moisture getting to it.
Plastered plasterboard can hold a maximum of 20kg per m2, large format porcelain tiles are likely a lot more than that! And you still need to allow about 4kg per m2 for adhesive and grout.
Plasterboard alone can hold up about 32kg per m2.

If the whole area is to be overboarded your best bet is to go for a Hardiebacker, or other cement based backer board which is not only waterproof it can hold up about double the weight that plastered plasterboard can. It is also impervious to water and will not rot or warp if it gets wet. This is always a possibility because grout does not stop water ingress. waterproof merely means that it will not disintegrate when it gets wet. :confused:

Sorry to bombard you with information :oops: but you could make some very costly errors here... :!:
Good luck with the project and sorry again ;)

K

The best thing you can do is go into the tiling forum and have a look at the Sticky there.
There are a lot of possible mistakes that you are heading towards at the moment.:eek:
Aquaboard is not ideal in a wet area, if it is to be tiled, it would need to be tanked to stop all moisture getting to it.
Plastered plasterboard can hold a maximum of 20kg per m2, large format porcelain tiles are likely a lot more than that! And you still need to allow about 4kg per m2 for adhesive and grout.
Plasterboard alone can hold up about 32kg per m2.
... Sorry to bombard you with information :oops:

All good advice, no need for apology.

BTW - you been talking to Rich C ? ;)

Generally if re-tiling, plaster is not the best thing to use for patching; it will restrict tiling weight & mean you have to wait anything between 10 – 28 days for it to all dry out before tiling. If the majority of the wall is already plaster, it won’t make any odds to max tiling weights but using powder tile adhesive or a quick set render (not conventional sand/cement render) will mean you can tile it next day, not in 4 weeks; don’t tile over Bonding or any Gypsum base plasters. For large tiles more than 250mm, cement powder adhesive only & Gypsum plaster must be acrylic primed to avoid a reaction with the cement.

Use Aquapanel, cement based backer board rather than Aquaboard which is only MR plasterboard (pretty useless in wet unless tanked); mypet e has covered this & the tile weight thing very well & you must check the weight of your porkies before starting. Be aware some porkies need sealing before laying, some come ready sealed & some it don’t matter, check which variety you have.

But if you’ve used conventional sand/cement render, you’ve given yourself a big wait before you can tile

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back