Bathroom ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your advice most welcome please...My bathroom ceiling is T&G pine, varnished, and probably 20 years since it was done. It looks old and dull, but the varnish is not peeling, and it does not seem to be degrading in any way. The area is about 10 feet by 8. I want to paint it white. What are my best options? I absolutely don't fancy stripping it, but obviously will if I have no choice. Is there a primer/paint that will go straight over it as it is? And what kind of paint do I use. Has anyone got a better idea? I'm trying to match it to a lime green and white scheme, and I like the T&G effect, but the existing brown of the wood is depressing. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If it's already varnished then you shouldn't need to prime. Just rub down, undercoat (maybe 2 coats for coverage) then gloss or whatever you choose. Good preparation is the key as it will have been subjected to a lot of steam and even possibly splashes of soap and water.

Thank you for that. For whatever reason I thought that varnish would not take paint, and I'd have to take it back to the bare wood. Much appreciated.

It does need priming, paint adheres very poorly to varnish. You need a high grip primer, cover stain or 123 from zinsser would be fine and you could emulsion over either of these primers if you want, but any other paint would be fine.

Sponsored Links
Use an electric sander until it is uniformly matt. Then (in my opinion) use Satinwood (oil based).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back