Bathroom Condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for another condensation post I know there’s a Lot on this!

So we have a fairly small bathroom (1.62 x 2.35m)

We had a Vent Axa Svara fan which didn’t seem
Upto the job - the walls were all running with water after a shower even with window open etc. This fan could shift around 100m2 an hour

This made me replace this with a Soler & Palau 4” in-line fan which has a flow rate of 250m2 so obviously significantly more and the ability to put the vent almost directly over the shower but our walls are still running with water after a shower - again with windows open and the fan is even running all the time at the moment.

I’m not 100% sure what to try next - we are in a flat and the ducting runs into a roof tile sort of thing - I’m wondering if this is restricting the flow in some way and it would be better to try get a wall vent installed?

I know it’s impossible to stop it 100% but our walls do seem to get wetter than I’d expect.

Other than that I’m not too sure what to try next - we do keep window open whilst showering, fan is currently running all day so it’s not a timing issue either.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks
6565A5D8-EA7E-4A27-A0BB-EEC6111A83F8.jpegA597A46B-B522-4C97-84E6-6DDBFDB32070.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Tiled walls will often feel cold and take some warming up. To avoid condensation I think you will also need to add some heat. Its that time of year when its damp outside so any air circulating is probably full of moisture already. Heating the space will help as will any increase in air flow that you can achieve.

Use a squeegee to get the water off the tiles and shower cubicle after showering, you want as much water as possible to go down the drain leaving a minimum amount to evaporate into the air and condense on the tiles.

Where is the fan drawing air from? It can only expel as much air as it can draw into the room, is there a decent gap under the door to allow the fan to draw in warm air from outside the bathroom?

Sponsored Links
Tiled walls will often feel cold and take some warming up. To avoid condensation I think you will also need to add some heat. Its that time of year when its damp outside so any air circulating is probably full of moisture already. Heating the space will help as will any increase in air flow that you can achieve.
I can try this over next few days getting the heating on abit before showers to see if he helps!
Use a squeegee to get the water off the tiles and shower cubicle after showering, you want as much water as possible to go down the drain leaving a minimum amount to evaporate into the air and condense on the tiles.

Where is the fan drawing air from? It can only expel as much air as it can draw into the room, is there a decent gap under the door to allow the fan to draw in warm air from outside the bathroom?
Will try get one to get the water off walls to at least prevent damage - there is a decent gap under the door (can get my fingers under it!)
Shut the window.
I always thought it was recommended to keep it open but willing to try to see if this helps - I guess it will keep the bathroom warmer which may help?

I always thought it was recommended to keep it open but willing to try to see if this helps - I guess it will keep the bathroom warmer which may help?

Having it open, when there is already a source of incoming air under your door, could make it worse/confuse the air flow. It depends very much, on wind direction. You may find it better to close the window during a shower with fan running, then open it after and turn the fan off. Idea is a through flow of air, to remove the moisture laden air.

My bathroom window is on the north west side, fan is on the north facing wall, prevailing wind is westerly, which means I find it best to have the window fully closed when the bathroom is in use, as above, then window left open for an hour or so after.

I use a squeegee or our karcher wv1 to remove moisture from the tiles. We also have an inline fan. We leave the fan on 15 minutes after having a shower.

Does the difference between ceramic and porcelain tiles make a difference to the level of condensation on the walls after using the shower?

Does the difference between ceramic and porcelain tiles make a difference to the level of condensation on the walls after using the shower?
No, steam will condense on any cold surface.

Turning the shower water temp. down a few degrees will help a little as you should generate less steam.

No, steam will condense on any cold surface.
Well, you say that; and i agree with the logic, but i've noticed my bathroom after a shower has no condensation on these tiles around the bath, and after heeding the advice of JohnD to keep the window closed (while keeping the door ajar) in cold weather the room has little condensation at all.
I can't drill holes in the door but keeping a stream of warm air from the landing has definitely helped lower the amount of damp air around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back