Bathroom Ventilation Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We currently have an air brick/vent in our bathroom which doesnt seem to do much, so we end up opening the window to when we have a shower to try and control some of the moisture build up on the walls.

We have been debating changing the air vent for an extractor fan. A handyman friend has had a look and as we have a concrete ceiling it will be possible but really hard going to chisel a groove out of the ceiling and down the wall for the wiring from the light. so we can then put the fan in the place of the vent.

The other option is that we get a window fan fitted when we do the double glazing later in the year....however we will still need to chisel the ceiling and wall.

What I want to know is: is it really worth it? will an extractor fan really make that much difference to the condition of our bathroom (which isnt really that bad) versus the work involved?

If so, what would you reccomend? getting a wall or a window one? Or if we got a window one would one of those ones that arent connected to the electricity be any good?

Sorry, lots of questions, first house and we dont really know what we are doing, any advice would be massivley appreciated! :)

Thanks
Sharron

Sponsored Links
If you want an extractor, use the vent hole in the wall.
A window one will be far more expensive both to install and replace when it breaks, and it will block out a substantial amount of light.

A non-electric vent in the window will be useless. Might as well just leave the window open all the time.

If the ceiling is concrete, do NOT go cutting a big slot in it, as you will damage the structure, which could be extremely expensive to repair. If this is a block of flats, the ceiling probably isn't yours to go cutting into anyway.

If the cable has to go across the ceiling, then fix it to the surface and have the ceiling boarded & skimmed.

I would recommend installing a fan in the wall , leave the vent for an air supply, surface conduit for the cable, not something for a handyman unless he is part P proficient.

OOh thanks for your reposne, glad I asked now....think we may just stick with opening the window for now, its getting expensive sounding!!

Sponsored Links
OOh thanks for your reposne, glad I asked now....think we may just stick with opening the window for now, its getting expensive sounding!!
Damp and mold can be a lot more expensive [to your health too].

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back