Bathroom dilemma!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this is my first post, and I apologise for steaming in straight away asking for help, but thats why I was looking for a forum of this kind :)

Here is the problem, the shower unit was badly fitted by the previous owners and not only has no ventilation (we have to leave the shower door and bathroom window open almost constantly!) it is now leaking through the ceiling. Our buildings and contents insurance will only cover the water damage (which is minimal but will only get worse) and not the plumbing itself. We have toyed with the idea of completely ripping it out and installing either the current electric shower over the bath, or a mixer tap (depnding on what is cheapest!).

Here is the current layout of my bathroom;

Bathroom.jpg

As you can see, the shower unit coming out would free up a lot of room. The only problem then, is that the sink overlaps the bath, and we wouldnt be able to fit a screen but would have to use a shower curtain instead. We could move the sink to where the shower is now, but again, this could be costly, and I am unsure how big the job would be.

I am prepared to do as much of it myself as possible, but I think I might struggle with things like the plumbing for sink, and would obviously have an electrician move the electric shower unit (if we decide to go down that route!)

It is a conundrum! Please help!

Jax x

ETA: Sorry should have mentioned, the shower used to be a cupboard so it is walled in.

Sponsored Links
Hmm yes that could work, is it difficult to install a new bath that way? What about the plumbing for the taps and plughole etc being moved to that wall? It would mean not having to move the electric shower unit atall, which is definitely a plus!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Would ordinarily be quite easy to move the hot, cold and waste pipes to other end... though couldn't be sure without seeing it. Is it a stud wall or a solid wall?

I once suggested to an old lady the idea of a P bath... "Oh no dear, I think I'd rather have a separate toilet" she replied...

Sponsored Links
Well part of it in front of the door is covered in pine panelling (think they started going for a swedish sauna look but gave up!) and the rest of it those awful polystyrene tiles. The section within the shower cupboard is artexed.

I have a super aretxing chap who can finish a repaired ceiling so you can't see where the wall was.

It should brighten up the room too; letting more light in.

Good Luck

depending on your budget and skill level I would look to do the following.
Remove sink, extend boxing to the right of your diagram and fit concealed cistern, and pan more centrally. Fit sink where radiator is, and do whatever you want with the bath then. Soon find somewhere for a small towel rail or even electric underfloor heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back