Bathroom door reversible lock - twisted spindle

DKR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am trying to replace my old lock with new one but I am unable to get the old one out. the bottom latch rod seems to be twisted. I am not sure if that's by design or if that's a result of someone using excessive force previously. The rod seems to be quite hard and not easy to twist, so should be been by design is my best guess.

Any ideas on how to get it out? I am guessing this should be a standard problem and I am not the first one to see this...

thanks
Dk

Sponsored Links
uploading pic...

Attachments

• 20170917_075026.jpg
    20170917_075026.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 114
Them privacy locks come in a few various designs. Have you removed the lower handle/knob on the other side of the door ? there could be a grub screw (allen key) keeping the handle/knob attached.If you can then from that side tap the spindle through with a hammer.
If no grub screw then the spindle is a captive fit in the handle/knob and is not removable so try to straighten the spindle and tap it through with a hammer,a small spray of wd40 should help.

photos of the other side of the door and what you have already removed will help further.

good luck.

Sponsored Links
Thanks much for the expert advice. The seem to be a Grub screw/ Allen key on the other side. Will try to open this one and try...

Ta
Dk

Attachments

• 20170917_090529.jpg
    20170917_090529.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 114

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back