Bathroom Earth Bonding - Is it a legal requirement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My builder has installed and fully tiled my bathroom and then realised he has not earth bonded any of the pipework.
He says it doesn't really matter as all the pipework is bonded elsewhere around the house.
Is he right? Is it a legal issue - should my bath, toilet, bd, shower, sink be earth bonded legally?
Has he been negligent?

please advise me I really dont know.

regards
Simon

Sponsored Links
its a requirement of BS7671, and bonding other places doesn't satisfy this, however BS7671 is not a legal requirement, however it is a good idea to stick to it unless you have a good reason why not.

(you might not need bonding if a lot of plastic pipe has been used, best contact a spark who will be able to tell you what needs bonding and what doesn't)

thanks..

No plastic piping in the house at all, all copper.
I'm in dispute with this idiot builder and think this is a case for breach of contract since it would be expected to be earth bonded under that regulation. If its not a legal requirement I would guess he can just state that it didn't need doing and I'm stuffed?

Part P, Part P, Part P Has he issued an electrical installation certificate. Where did he park his horse!. Hope he hasn't scratched the tiles with his spurs.

Sponsored Links
We have had a new boiler system put in the house - by him, as well as a new bathroom. The only reason he didnt scratch the tiles is cause he put these on last and then buggered off - ha ha.

Whats Part P mean - sorry no knowledge here.

If its not legal and only a code am I stuffed.

Incidentally his electrician was not registered - he said he was going to send in a registered electrician afterwards to check and certify the work but he hasn't.

Is he in breach of contract over this?

1. Breach of contract - YES

2. Not notifying Building Control - Building Regs requirement (if not certified by a registered installer)

3. Part P - Electrical Safety in Dwellings (Part of the building regs)

We had Buiding Control in to over see the installation of an RSJ accross a wall that was knocked down. That was nothing to do with the boiler or bathroom installation though which was done way after.

If he had been registered would he have had to notify building control?
I'm just looking at Part P which is all about DIYers and nonregistered electricians which is fine and I get that.

The earth bonding though troubles me - if he can get round the electrician thing by saying he's competant etc even though not registered and he wants to send in a registered one to sign it off etc is it still a very bad / breach of contract thing not to have earth bonded?

The Building (Amendment No. 2) Regulations 2004 Statutory Instrument No. 1808 is the law that relates to the use of Part P.

thanks for the help.

I'm only worried that he is going to wriggle out of this claiming it wasn't actually neccessary.

If you have doubts call Building Control at your council and see what they have to say. Alternatively Trading Standards may be interested. BTW bonding is required in the bathroom since it is a special location in the wiring regs since bare wet people may come into contact with electrical parts (and die as a result). The appropriate regulations are in Section 601 of BS7671, and reg 601-04-01 is very specific to the bonding requirements.

pdcelec said:
The Building (Amendment No. 2) Regulations 2004 Statutory Instrument No. 1808 is the law that relates to the use of Part P.
No - not any more - it is now Statutory Instrument 2004 No. 3210 The Building (Amendment) (No.3) Regulations 2004

sjmyles - if there is no bonding then it is not safe, and if it is not safe it does not comply with Part P of the Building Regulations. Part P is not "all about DIYers and nonregistered electricians" - it applies to all electrical work in dwellings no matter who does it. The difference between registered electricians and all others is that registered ones self-certify compliance with the Building Regulations and notify LABC after the event, and all others notify LABC in advance and they inspect & test and certify (or not :confused: ) compliance.

So as whoever did your electrical work was not able to self-certify, and did not notify LABC in advance, then that may be another contravention. I say "may be" because it is possible that the builder is registered, and that the person he plans to send in is his qualified supervisor (at least one of the registration schemes does work this way - a qualified supervisor can sign off the work of a number of knuckle-draggers, unfortunately - it isn't like CORGI where each individual has to be qualified).

But - if the work wasn't properly inspected during progress then this person will be on dodgy ground issuing a certificate, and if there is no bonding in the bathroom then he cannot certify it anyway.

If the person the builder plans to send in is not the qualified supervisor for the registered firm that did the work then this does not satisfy the requirements of the Building Regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back