bathroom extractor fan always running

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've been having an issue with my bathroom extractor fan - quite sure I know what the issue is but thought I'd check with you good folks before electrocuting myself!

To sum up:
* Fan always runs, whether lights are on or off
* Definitely a switched fan - there's a live and a switched live input for wiring, both are connected
* There's a LED power light on fan. It goes off after a while when the lights are off, but fan continues to operate. When i switch lights on, the LED turns back on

My guess here is that the live and the switched live are swapped. Would that make sense and result in above behavior?

Happy to take photos as required!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Fan always runs, whether lights are on or off
Has this just started - timer shot
or always been the case - wired erongly.

* Definitely a switched fan - there's a live and a switched live input for wiring, both are connected
* There's a LED power light on fan. It goes off after a while when the lights are off, but fan continues to operate. When i switch lights on, the LED turns back on
Timer shot.

My guess here is that the live and the switched live are swapped. Would that make sense and result in above behavior?
No. would only work when the light is on.

Has this just started - timer shot
or always been the case - wired erongly.

Timer shot.

No. would only work when the light is on.

Just moved into this place few months ago - it's been like this since we moved here. Other bathroom with identical fan siwtches on/off as expected.

Good point re: would only work when light is on... Seems like new fan required...

Good point re: would only work when light is on... Seems like new fan required...
Depending on the make, you might be able to get a new timer module for it (the fan itself is clearly still working OK). If you were prepared to gamble, you might well find 'used' ones on eBay etc.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
What's the model; take the cover off, and post a photo to see if we can spot anything simple.

It's not a fan with both timer and humidistat is it? If so try adjusting the humidity trigger (or the humidistat may be shot)

Hi folks,

OK so there was no impact turning up the timer. Could not find humidistat. Ended up getting replacement fan on amazon for £15, installed last night and it works great with same wiring set up.

So - was definitely an issue somewhere on the old fan, likely a shot timer.

Thanks for the help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back