BATHROOM EXTRACTOR FAN AND ROOF VENT INSTALLATION

Reaction score
Country
Greenland
Hi guys!

I’m in the process of installing a new bathroom extractor vent. It’s one of those where there is a light in the middle of it. I’m going to vent through a universal roof tile vent with a duct adapter fitted. I’m happy with the electrical wiring side and have completed this and all works ok.

My question is to do with the duct that connects both sides of the inline fan. I was going to run a 1ft section of flexi duct vertical, then connect the inline fan, then a 3 foot section vertical again and connect this to my roof vent. So I’ve basically gone in a straight line from the light to the roof vent.

I’m thinking that the best route for steam is straight up and out into the atmosphere. Is this correct? or will any condensation run straight back down, through the fan and into the bathroom?

Should I be doing this:

Run a 1 foot section of duct from the light part with a bend going 90 degrees, then the fan, then running horizontal and connecting to the roof tile?

Questions for this method are:

a) I would still have to go vertical again to connect to roof vent adapter, so in theory is this the same as above?

b) Wouldn’t any condensation just build up and say in the pipe eventually causing a leak if it over flowed?

I really hope this makes sense; any help is very much appreciated!!

Please see my poor attempt at drawing this which may help!

Thanks in advance

Moderator's note

Moved from Forum Information https://www.diynot.com/diy/forums/forum-information/

You're not really in Greenland, are you.

Attachments

• image71.JPG
    image71.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 437
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Hi guys!

I’m in the process of installing a new bathroom extractor vent. It’s one of those where there is a light in the middle of it. I’m going to vent through a universal roof tile vent with a duct adapter fitted. I’m happy with the electrical wiring side and have completed this and all works ok.

My question is to do with the duct that connects both sides of the inline fan. I was going to run a 1ft section of flexi duct vertical, then connect the inline fan, then a 3 foot section vertical again and connect this to my roof vent. So I’ve basically gone in a straight line from the light to the roof vent.

I’m thinking that the best route for steam is straight up and out into the atmosphere. Is this correct? or will any condensation run straight back down, through the fan and into the bathroom?

Should I be doing this:

Run a 1 foot section of duct from the light part with a bend going 90 degrees, then the fan, then running horizontal and connecting to the roof tile?

Questions for this method are:

a) I would still have to go vertical again to connect to roof vent adapter, so in theory is this the same as above?

b) Wouldn’t any condensation just build up and say in the pipe eventually causing a leak if it over flowed?

I really hope this makes sense; any help is very much appreciated!!

Please see my poor attempt at drawing this which may help!

Thanks in advance

Moderator's note

Moved from Forum Information https://www.diynot.com/diy/forums/forum-information/

You're not really in Greenland, are you.

You need to lag the duct or install a vent condensation trap or both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back