Bathroom extractor fan backdraught shutters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently refurbished my bathroom. When doing so I installed a bathroom extract fan wall mounted. It's in solid ducting through the wall

I got a envirovent silent 100T fan. Very impressed. Low wattage. Good extract rate. Quiet for a wall mounted fan. The only thing that bothers me is the backdraught shutter is a rubbish thin film of plastic. On the outside I've put a no resist fan grille. Should I put an inline backdraught shutter or leave as it is?

The grille is suppose to not affect fan efficiency. It's like a cowl but without a flap at the bottom. It's just open at the bottom. I'm more concerned when it gets to winter of a lot of wasted heat loss in the bathroom. I got an inline shutter gravity flap, not a spring one and when testing the fan the shutter only opened a slight bit. Now my options are to remove the rubbish plastic shutter and install the inline one in the middle of the solid ducting. Or to install the inline one as well as the plastic film one or to leave it and see how I go. Anyone any experience with bathroom extract fans and backdraught shutters?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220417-110954_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220417-110954_Google.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 96
Sponsored Links
The gravity flaps, spring flaps etc are all a bit rubbish- noisy in windy weather is my main complaint along with draughty when there's no need for extra ventilation (shower/whatever long finished).
There are many with powered shutters, pick one- you won't regret it

Sponsored Links
the plastic film butterfly flaps do seem to work, and are very quiet.

I mostly use cowl vents, which do not rattle, but can sometimes bang depending on winf direction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back